• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E33 Cockpit Drain Thru Hull

dcoyle

Member III
I have a 1981 E33 and have a problem with the setup for the 2 forward cockpit drains. It is laid out with 2 drains t connected to a forespar seacock and plastic thruhull, the t connector seacock and thru hull are all below water line in a small box molded in hull just forward of the rudder. The thru hull is mounted horizontally and is very close to the bottom of hull. The seacock that was on ther was a 2 piece design and was able to screw onto thru hull without a problem. When the handle on forespar seacock broke my troubles started. I purchased a new 1 piece seacock and since the thruhull so close to bottom of hull there is not enough clearance to screw it on. I temporarily fixed it with a plastic 2 piece coupler but am not happy with the layout. The 2 aft cockpit drains connect each to their own above waterline thruhulls on stern. I am thinking about connecting the forward drains to the aft drains with a y connector and get rid of below waterline thru hull. I am looking for flaws in my idea, wondering why it wasnt originally designed like my idea. Has any other E33 owners run into this problem, and what was done to correct it?

chaco

Member III
Keep Connected !

The aft cockpit is tiny compared to the main cockpit and can drain thru the stern thruhulls. The main cockpit NEEDS (2) 1 1/2 below water line thruhulls
to drain the wash expected in bad weather. Check all the hoses for cracks
and leaks. These thruhulls always worry me on the 35II. Tried closing them
when she was left unattended for safety. Ended up with rainwater draining up
thru the kitchen sink! I have replaced ALL hoses and clamps with heavy duty
vinyl drain line. Now I sleep easier and have learned to accept these rather
large holes below the water line as part of sailing !

good luck

dan
S/V Merlin
Oceanside, CA :D