• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Gathering of the So. Cal. Vikings at Two Harbors (Isthmus) on Catalina Island.

windjunkee

Member III
The sail down to baja

I've done the sail down to Cabo and up into the Sea of Cortez once, on a full keel 38' Island Trader Ketch. We did the run south straight through, so we didn't stop any where along the way, but you can almost day sail your way down if you work it right.
On the way up through the Sea, there are great places to stop. We went as far north as Bahia De Los Angeles before crossing to the mainland, but the sea life and cruising are absolutely impeccable.

There are wonderful and detailed cruising guides covering the west coast and inner coast of baja. We had several on board and used them religiously.

I'm jealous. I'm hoping to take "Voice of Reason" south as well, but I have to wait for the kids to grow up a bit and convince my wife that she really CAN find shoes to match her green face. :eek:

piezzi

Ericsons Unite!

Was a date ever firmed up for the Isthmus gathering? I'll be arriving at Catalina Island on Friday, April 22nd, from San Diego and would love to see you vikings out there.

Best regards,

Paul
E-29
:egrin:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I will be at Two Harbors (Isthmus), May 6th!

I will be at Two Harbors (Isthmus) from Friday afternoon May 6th until Sunday Morning May 8th. I'll give a shout out on the VHF to see if any other Ericson Owners are around. If any one wants to Gather I will comply!:egrin:

Sven

Seglare
Jeff Asbury said:
I will be at Two Harbors (Isthmus) from Friday afternoon May 6th until Sunday Morning May 8th. I'll give a shout out on the VHF to see if any other Ericson Owners are around. If any one wants to Gather I will comply!:egrin:

I wish we were going ... enjoy on our behalf :)

-Sven

Don Smith

Member II
Vikings @ Isthmus, Catalina Island

I sail an E26 out of King Harbor, Redondo Beach, and am interested in attending a Viking round up at the Isthmus. June or July would be best for me, but I have some flexibility as long as I have a couple of weeks advance notice, as I've got to deal with work issues (the curse on the the sailor and the drinking man!)

Glyn Judson

All, FYI, I got a phone call from a Harbor Patrolman friend at Isthmus who told me there was a major accident at the pier today, 5.9.05. Apparently a charter boat (don't know the company name but the red and white ones that are about the size the Catalina Express boats and frequently pick up scouts, etc.) failed to stop at the floating dock and rammed the pier. The impact was so great that the shock traveled down the pier toward shore, breaking windows in the office across from the dive shop. The pier has been closed off completely pending USCG inspection. I can tell you that the pier was in iffy shape before the incident today and was nearing it's service life. I have no idea how this will impact the use of it in the near future. Maybe those who know more about this can share with us as the details start to trickle in. Glyn

Sven

Seglare
Are you still going ?

Hi Glyn,

Glyn Judson said:
All, FYI, I got a phone call from a Harbor Patrolman friend at Isthmus who told me there was a major accident at the pier today, 5.9.05.

Amazing.

Will it be practical for you to take Bruce ashore by beach landing or are they able to rig some temporary dingy dock on the beach ?

I guess you could head for Cat harbour instead for the weekend ?

I feel sorry for those who earn their living serving the boaters, just as summer is about to start up.

-Sven

BTW I tried the epoxy on the hatch as you suggested, looks a lot better but now I need to put on a cover to protect it from UV :)

Sven

Seglare
Mechanical failure

Hi Glyn,

Sven said:

The LA Times (registration required) carried the following:

=------>
2 Injured When Ferryboat Crashes Into Catalina Pier
From a Times Staff Writer

A 127-foot ferryboat suffered a mechanical failure and slammed into a pier at Two Harbors on Santa Catalina Island on Monday morning, injuring two of the more than 200 passengers aboard, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said.

Deputies said one victim refused medical treatment and the other was released after examination at a medical center on the island.

The accident occurred about 11:30 a.m. as the captain was preparing to dock the Catalina Classic Cruises boat at Two Harbors after a 22-mile trip from Long Beach, officials said. Two Harbors is at the island's isthmus, about 12 miles northwest of Avalon.

"As he came in, he threw both engines into reverse, but the transmission failed to engage on one of them," said Sgt. Martin Dailey of the Sheriff Department's Avalon station.

Dailey said the unequal thrust caused the boat to spin and strike the pier. The collision's force reportedly knocked several passengers off their feet, including the two who were hurt.

The vessel was not seriously damaged, but the pier was severely battered and may take up to a week to repair, deputies said.

Catalina Classic Cruises could not be reached for comment late Monday.
<------=

A pretty credible explanation. I was wondering why he'd strike the dock instead of just running aground.

-Sven

Jeanne

Member I
Isthmus sounds good

I was there for Cinco de Mayo and will be at Cat Harbor for Memorial Day. The Pier is out (no water or fuel) due to the Catalina Express crashing into it but they are hoping to have something workable by Memorial Day. Let me know what date you have in mind. Mid-summer, non-holiday weekend is probably best. It is always first come, first served.

Jeanne