• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 38 spinnaker wanted

Geoff Nelson

Member II
I am looking for a used spinnaker (symmetrical) for an Ericson 38. If anyone has one sitting around in the garage or dock box wanting to see the glory of the open sea... please let me know. I need one for the Newport to Ensenada race in April and can't afford a new one at this time. I could also use an asymetrical spin in a pinch if someone has one of those thay want to part with.

Thanks,

Geoff
Pau Hana
Ericson 381
San Diego, CA

Seth

Sustaining Partner
spinny

You would be better of with a full sized (no penalty) A-sail-as long as it is an AP shape (as oppposed to one designed primarily for reaching). You can square the pole back and run just as deep (and be faster than the symetrical), or reach with or without the pole depending on windspeed and angle. I'm a recovering sailmaker if you don't know me, and trust me when I say that all things being equal ( same size AP A-sail vs. AP conventional, or runner A-sail vs, runner conventional) the A-sail is always faster...

See you in Ensenada-I'll be aboard Gypsy, the Columbia 52 (Flying only A-sails!)

Fair winds,
Seth

Geoff Nelson

Member II
Spinnaker talk

Ok- so call me old fashioned but I was under the impression that an assy sail was faster reaching and a symmetrical was faster running... all thing being equal except sail size which I understand to be about 1250'sq for a symmetrical and 1040'sq for an assy to keep my lovely 117 rating. I have been known to be wrong before however(only once though).

What are you talking about "full sized" and AP shape? Forgive me for I am a simple one design sailor who spends all his time racing on 5o5's (strictly symmetrical) and J120's (obviously assy).

I am not opposed to either (and would love to have both in the arsenal if I could just find time for that third job in a day!) but I figured for a race like Ensenada and the fact I am all rigged up for a big fat symmetrical- that is the say to go.

This statement is greek to me:

"same size AP A-sail vs. AP conventional, or runner A-sail vs, runner conventional"

Please explain.

Oh yeah- and if you know of any deals on any of the above mentioned sails...!

mark reed

Member III
Symmetrical spinnaker for sale

Geoff,
I have a symmetrical spinnaker for my E38-200 that I am not using and would consider selling. Please e-mail me directly to discuss.