• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Refrigerator on a E35-3

John Yandow

Member I
Hi,
I am investigating installing Refrigeration on my E35-3. I had a few question for my fellow E35-3 owners who have installed or purchased the boat with a refrigerator as an option.

1. Which cooler do you have it installed in, small or large one?

2. Where is or did you install the compressor on the boat.

3. What brand did you install?

Thanks

Ray Rhode

Member III
Journey came with an Adler/Barbour Cold Machine installed it the aft ice box. The comperssor is installed in the starboard cockpit locker up on the outboard shelf. The coolant lines go under the galley sink and into the inboard side of the ice box. The evaporator is mounted on the inboard wall of the ice box. Suspect the insulation is marginal as the unit has about a 50% duty cycle in the summer. I added some vents to the top of the coaming storage box on the starboard side. This helps vent the locker while keeping the rain out. The local installer suggested an add on fan which draws ambient air into the condenser coils and improves the efficiency significantly. In your climate I would think you would have a shorter duty cycle because of the lower ambient air tmeperature. In the summer we have mid 90's to 100's and it is difficult to cool anything with that kind of air.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Adler/Barbour Cold Machine: Me Too...

I also have the Adler/Barbour Cold Machine installed, in the same place as Ray.

It seems to work pretty good, however I've gotten used to dropping two 2L frozen water bottles into the cooler (for weekend sails) to save on the battery draw. I pretty much use just the reefer when we're going out after work, or for rapid cooling, or when we're at the dock, etc.

The bottles are pretty nice - provide as much cooling as two blocks of ice - but don't make as much run off, and provide more cold drinking water as they melt....

//sse

Ray Rhode

Member III
Sean,

Also use the frozen 2 liter bottles but use them in the forward ice box in place of ice. Usually put two bags of ice cubes in the Cold Machine to reduce running time and provide ice for adult beverages after dropping the hook. It also helps to start the Cold Machine the day before you leave in order to get it cooled down before loading it up.

Ray

John Yandow

Member I
Thanks,
I've seen the wiring rolled up there and was wondering if that was where the compressor went. I have CNG on Mean Jean and the tank sits on the outboard shelf in the starboard cockpit locker, I'll have to work around that if I decide to install a refrigerator. One other question, what size compressor, or model do you both have? That ice chest is 6.5 cubic foot, I didn't see a model that was rated for that large an area in my wish books, that was reasonably priced.

Ray Rhode

Member III
John,

I'm not sure of the size as it was installed by the PO. Will look around next time I'm at the boat. My CNG in on the lower level and the compressor is on the top level above and outboard of the CNG. It is a tight fit and leads me to believe that the optional fan might make a big difference to the efficiency.

Just finished looking at your Mean Jean site. Nice looking boat. We have the same cockpit table. Just finished installing the old narrow table in the galley as a fold up table to add to the work surface. It goes where your "cooks helper" is standing.