• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-3 Dorade Leaks

lbertran

Member III
With the weather improving a bit in Chesapeake country, I'm starting to tackle some projects on our newly acquired boat. I believe we've got water leaking in through the storage bin/dorade box just forward of the mast. The surveyor noted evidence of moisture in the deck around this area. The water travels and comes out in the cabin at the forward starboard fixed port.

I've seen some mentions of this problem in archive searches but am not clear about the solutions that others have found. I have thought about sealing the storage bin opening with teak or starboard. I'm assuming that the leaks are in the floor of the storage bin and not in the housing for the dorades themselves. Can others who have dealt with this issue let me know if I'm on the right track or if the repair needs to be more extensive? Thanks in advance.

Laura Bertran
Footloose, Annapolis, MD

Ray Rhode

Member III
Laura,

It is just as likely that the leak is from the dorades. The entire box, storage and dorades, share a single sheet of plywood for a base. Over time this rots. On Journey I had the entire deck box cut off and the floor replaced and the box reinstalled. My guess is that every 35-III has had this problem. Sounds like you may have caught it before serious damage was done.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189

lbertran

Member III
Thanks, Ray...

I think I'll seal the openings for now and hope that helps until I can take a more thorough approach.

Laura