• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

M-40 heat exchanger cleaning

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Has anyone tried sending their raw water heat exchanger to a radiator shop to have it cleaned? I know its made of copper so I would guess a radiator repair shop could do a good job of cleaning just did not know if anyone ever tried...

Thanks

mark reed

Member III
A reputable radiator shop should be able to clean it. I took my heat exchanger to a radiator shop for cleaning, and to repair a few leaking tubes. Unfortunately, the tubes had deteriorated to the point where they needed replacing, so there was no point in cleaning the heat exchanger. I replaced the whole unit.

Which leads to a question, Ted. Does your boat have a 2" or a 3" diameter heat exchanger? If you have a 2" model and you end up needing to replace it, you may want to change to a 3". You can find a lot of info on this site about heat exchangers and overheating problems in general.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Took it apart last night. Except for the zinc being completely gone it was in pretty good shape. Not too corroded. I cleaned it myself. Its 3". Will order new xinc and seals and call it a day. Thanks,.