• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Dinghy Poll

What do you have for a tender?

• Solid Dinghy, Less than 10'

Votes: 82 22.9%
  • Solid Dinghy, 10' or Larger

Votes: 14 3.9%
  • Inflatable, Less than 10'

Votes: 164 45.8%
  • Inflatable, 10' or Larger

Votes: 65 18.2%
  • Kayak or similiar small boat.

Votes: 14 3.9%
  • I don't have a tender.

Votes: 46 12.8%
  • I use an engine with my tender.

Votes: 97 27.1%

• Total voters

Mikebat

Member III
I have a brand new 8'9" Mercury Marine hypalon dink with inflatable keel I bought from Defender.com, and a 2002 4HP Mercury outboard I picked up locally from an eBay auction.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hypalon VS PVC?

Hypalon VS PVC?

There is one thing that I haven't seen any discussion about regarding inflatable Dinks in this thread and that is; Is Hypalon really better than PVC? Prices seem pretty close.

When I made my purchase I was encouraged to go with Hypalon for the UV protective qualities. I also purchased a cover that is UV protected because I leave my Dink inflated and ready to go on the dock in sunny Southern California. I also know that most of the smaller Zodiac WM Dinks are only made with PVC. I have a 8'7" Achilles, with wood floor.

Any Thoughts? :confused:

chrism

Inactive Member
From what I've read they both deteriorate in the sun, but PVC just goes bad faster. We went with Hypalon simply because we thought it was better. A lot of tropical cruisers seem to swear by their Hypalon inflatables.

chrism

Inactive Member
Then comes the definition of a conventional inflatable... Wooden floor, inflatable floor, solid transom, etc.

I can't change the poll, and it's been going on since February and people can't vote again, so I think that if you vote, just post afterwards what kind of dinghy you have.

dinghy

In 1986 I bought the plans for a 6'6" wooden pram from Small Boat Journal and had built by a fussy old Swede my dinghy MEW--she is spanish cedar and mahogany with oak rubrails and skeg. She needs repair right now...but is a fine little boat--will fit handsomely on the cabin top of FAWKES, my Ericson 30-1.

Ernest

Member II
Dinks

Hey- There's no box to check for our 8' Foldaboat. Carries a 3 HP 2 stroke Nissan. Actually we couldn't a 2 HP with neutral, therefore the 3. Ernie Schlesinger

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Ernest, is that a Porta-bote? I've been thinking about that for our 26-footer. I want a dinghy I can fold or roll, but it's got to be rowable, as I don't like using a dinghy motor. How does your portabote row? Is the flexing of the oarlocks bothersome when rowing? Does it make good way under oar-power?

evm

Member II
Dive Yak?

I've been using an 11' Zodiac Zoom (lower cost pvc) with a 10 hp johnson for the last 10 years. It stays outside and in the water most of the year. Some winters I take it home and others not. Of course Portland is not the tropics but 10 years is not bad for a $1000 boat.

My 17' kayak is a bit long for carting around on deck. I have looked at Dive Yaks. They appear to be something that could work quite well. I'm told that you can put a tiny (2hp or less) engine on them and get around like lightning. Plus they can surf and sneek into the traditional kayak places.

Does anyone have experience with them?

Regards, Ethan

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Tom Plummer said:
I have a 12 ft porta-bote and it rows alot better than the inflatable that it replaced.

Can the rowing be compared to a hard dinghy? Or is it really a different beast? Would you consider using your porta-bote exclusively with oars?

Thanks, Nate

Ernest

Member II
Dingy

We have never rowed the Porta boat. I suspect it will row better than an inflateable but not as well as a rigid dingy. It is less stable in roll than most rigid dinks. Also somewhat flexible. The 8' is good for 2 persons. 3 would be risky in a chop. It is overpowered with 3 HP. Storage is great, as we simply lash it to the lifelines. However the seats are large and must be stored somewhere. We use the quarter berth with all our other stuff.

Tom Plummer

Member III
While I normaly use a 6hp outboard on my porta-bote. I have rowed it quite a bit. It is a lot easer to row than an inflatable, tracks well, and is stable. It takes a little getting used to the flexability of the floor and sides. Because of that flexibility it seems unstabe but it realy is not. I am 6'8" and 350lbs and have less trouble with rolling or tiping in it than I do with the same size hard dingy. The trick to rowing the thing is to use good rowing technique ie stroke, recover, glide, dip and then stroke again. If you are a smooth stroker then the flexability of the sides will not be a problem for you. My son lacks the patence to glide, is an agressive stroker and because of this he has a terrible time rowing the boat because so much of his effort is absorbed by the sides flexing. :egrin:

Richard Elliott

Member III
Dinghies

I chose an Aquapro RIB inflatable with an aluminum bottom. Much lighter than FG and much more resistant to oyster shells, barnacles,etc. Mine is 8'6" with an 8hp. Yamaha. Planes easily with 2 persons and can carry 4 adults. If I do it again, I would probably choose a 9'.

Scot King

Standard inflatable.

I have a West Marine inflatable which is about 10foot and always fun to put together and pump up on the narrow dock in Long Beach. I use a Nissan outboard which I recently purchased. The old Nissan outboard which came with my 1985 E30+ had a broken handle and didn't start all the time when I needed it, which was irritating. The newer one starts but I have to really work more than I'd like to get it to go. Once it's working, I have to be careful with the throttle or it will stop.

:eek:

rotorhead

Member II
West Marine, by Avon. 9.5 ft, inflatable floor, inflatable keel, two chambers. MOC is Hypalon, a bit expensive, but virtually indestructible . Mercury 8hp two stroker. The boat also came with an even smaller tender. I have not even look at it yet. Brand is Compass. It came with a 2Hp Honda four stroke motor.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Anyone tried the walker bay with the inflatable tubes? I'm looking for something small, lightweight and rowable. I recently found a WB 8 on craigslist for dirt cheap so I'll probably get that for the time being and see how I like it. But I'm also curious about those tubes you can add on. If they increased the carrying capacity and made the boat drier and more stable, they might be worth it.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
I have a 8'6" Avon with a roll-up hard floor. No motor yet. This dingy came with the purchase of our boat a couple of months ago. Haven't had a chance to tow or row or even inflate it yet.