• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Jib for SF Bay

corkhead

Julian Ashton
So, the windy season is coming, I was reefed a good part of the Spring/Summer last year. I am going to buy a new jib and I thought a smaller size would be more efficient on the SF Bay (currently a 120% genoa).

The roller furling does help but the sail shape is compromised significantly.

Any experienced Bay sailors with feedback would be great
Julian
E35 III #236 :

jmoses

Member III
SF Bay jib

Julian,

although you have probably already bought your jib by now, I found a 99% jib works well on the bay for my E-35 MKII. It pops right over with out hanging up and I save the 135% for fall/winter after the gale winds drop off.

It's on a roller furler and have rarely, if ever, had to furl it while out.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Jib

You probably would be happy with something in the area of 105-110%. The Genoa track does not extend very far forward, so smaller LP sails will require a higher than ideal clew height.
Important: If the Furling Genoa is properly built (materials and correctly installed foam luff insert), it will have very adequate shape when reefed. Remember the Vendee Globe guys all race with furling genoas, reefing and unreefing as needed. This sail should be a furling type, but have a knowledgeable sailmaker do it. In fact the Doyle loft in SF did the sails for Ocean Planet-they know how to do this correctly. Tell them I sent to you...
Good luck!

S

jmoses

Member III
Doyle Sails

Doyle San Fran was the sail loft for both my main and jib. After some discussions back and forth, we concluded a 99% jib was a good balance to the MKII main. The MKII foresail tracks extend past the main shrouds quite a bit so there's little concern for proper jib clew angles. Also, one can use a 'jib sheet puller' (a downward pulling snatch block mounted fwd of the track through which the jib sheet is led) if there's concern over a jib sheet lead.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Jibs MK II vs. MK III

I assume you are talking about the outboard tracks on the Mk II-Yes they do extend ahead of the shrouds-although I designed a #3 for a MK II this year, and for my taste the clew was a bit high once we got below about 105%-but you are right about the downhaul-that can alleviate the issue. I think the boat in question is a MK III, and the tracks are inboard and stop just aft of the shrouds. If he uses the outboard track he is giving up some sheeting angle and hence pointing ability.
Obviously all of these are somewhat personal preferences-they can allk work well-the real difference between a 99% and 105-110% can be lost due to differences in mainsail shape and condition, mast tune and tension, and of course weight and weight placement on board.

rssailor

High wind jib

I sail moonglow on the bay all year around, but I put a track on in front of the shrouds to accomodate a smaller jib, like an 80% jib. What I am getting at, is that you might want to mount a second set of jib tracks in front of the shrouds to be able to sheet a smaller jib at the proper sheeting angle. Also check with Quantum sails in Pt. Richmond and ask for Joscelyn. They have built several of my sails. Also a neighbor a 35 MK III at the Oakland YC has a smaller jib, like a 100% or so that was built by Quantum. Good luck and hope to see ya out on the bay. If you are interested sometime this summer, we should try and get some Ericson owners out to Angel Island some weekend. Ryan Ericson 25+