• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Portlights

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
A couple of my portlight frames are just about eaten through by corrosion, does anyone know a source for replacements for the large ones?
If I need to get a machine shop to make them up, any recommendations on improvements to the originals for better seaworthiness?

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

JORGE

Member III
Have you tried the goodoldboat website for "Resources", look under ventilation. Search, this website for older forum information related to your topic too. good luck

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Opening Ports / unlikely source...

The large ones are likely a custom item in this day and age, but here's a link for opening ports from a friend of mine with this brand on his 30-year-old cruiser. Same company still making them... and you do not even have to order a new broom!
http://www.fuller.com/marine.asp

Loren in PDX

u079721

Contributing Partner
Lewmar sized 4L?

Gareth,

Are you asking about the large slanted fixed portlights? If so, you can still buy replacements from Lewmar. You can see them at www.lewmar.com, and the size is 4L and 4R. I just replaced one on my boat last year when the plastic became dangerously crazed. The new Lewmar portlight has a slightly different frame extrusion, but you really can't tell the difference from more than a few feet away. They are pricy though, as I think the total from West Marine for the special order was close to $300 for just ONE portlight. (ouch!)

clayton

Member III
portlights (long, fixed)

Steve -
When you replaced the long fixed portlight with the Lewmar 4L/R portlight, was the Lewmar parallel sided, meaning top and bottom? The portlights on our Ericsons are tapered, and grow wider as they go aft. Did the 4L/R follow this? It looks from the info on the Lewmar spec page that the top and bottom are parallel. Also, did you order it fixed, or opening? It'd be great to get an opening one for over the stove! Ours are getting pretty cracked/crazed and will need replacing soon, that's why I'm asking.

Maybe a bunch of us could form a buying group and get a discount. Maybe here's a way PSC and EricsonYachts.org could help each other out and make a few bucks themselves, assuming they get a better price than we do?

Clayton

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I spoke to PSC last week, and they are not in the portlight business, they just refered me to Lewmar. Group idea might be workable somewhere though.

The Lewmar web site only gives a couple of dimensions for the 4L/R, so could anyone who has installed these measure the exact dimensions and post them here, so I can tell if they are compatible with older boats?

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What to do about those big ports....

Strictly in the "FWIW" dept, I carefully measured to see if I could change over to Lewmar alloy-framed fixed ports when we replaced the external lexan lenses on our Olson, several years ago. Alas, no matter how I lined up my paper pattern for the cut-out, the openings were a little too long or too high.
Keep in mind that making the cut-out a little bigger would have been easy. Shrinking openings (!) is what is difficult. :(

I decided to go with the same (i.e. factory) lens system. Otherwise I would have had to deal with re-finishing the exterior after laying new glass and epoxy and then figure out what to do with the inside... which is presently finished in teak veneer plywood.
I confess that I do like the look of the Lewmars, and they would match all the other Lewmar opening ports on our boat... :rolleyes:

Some DIY sailors have gone with external plastic lenses on their older Cals, Ericsons, etc. Ya gotta be very careful not to end up something that hurts the appearance of the boat if you make such a major change.
:eek:

Best,
Loren in PDX
1988 Olson 34

u079721

Contributing Partner
Lewmar 4L/R is Parallel Sided

Clayton,

The top and bottom edges of the Lewmar 4L/R fixed ports are indeed parallel. So just one of these would probably not match your setup, but if you were to replace all of them you may well be able to cut the opening out to fit. Of course, as Loren notes above, it's adding to the cut out that is hard! I believe you can get the template from there web site (sorry I didn't keep mine for you to test.)

If you were to replace the port over the stove, then getting the opening port would be a GREAT idea which never even occurred to me. I was replacing the one over the nav station, where I would probably want a fixed port anyway. But I have always envied boats with a small hatch right over the galley stove, and this would be much the next best thing to keep the cabin a bit less steamy when boiling water for pasta.

clayton

Member III
Steve -
Thanks for the response and priceless info! E-mailing Lewmar is kind of like e-mailing outer space, except outer space may send something back. I haven't yet downloaded the software to be able to download Lewmar's CAD drawings for the 4L/4R portlights, but I wrote down the measurements and will check them against the boat next time I'm there. Hopefully just enlarging the existing cutouts will be the hurdle (other than the big $). Thanks again.

Clayton

Chip

I've dealt with this issue twice. The Lewmar stock sizes won't fit all the openings of the fixed ports. Try contacting tony@selectplastics.com . He's the only authorized lewmar repair facility in this hemisphere and is very familiar with the Ericson portlights. He may have some of these portlights rebuilt for sale, or can repair yours. I had pretty good luck. Also there are fairly cheap all plastic rectangular (but bigger, so cutting out is not filling in cabintop) portlight available. (Might be from Beckson.) There is even an opening model. Check with West Marine. Chip

Last edited:
Port Replacements

I have replaced my 1971 E29's 4 small ports with Lewmar Standard opening ports which drastically improve ventilation.
Once the weather breaks, I intend to take out one of the four tapered ports & bring them to a local auto glass establishment whom assures me they can reglaze`& reseal based on inspection of small port sample removed & saved from earlier project.
Paul Huch

Chip

Update on fixed ports

Here's an update, 8 years late, to the fixed portlight problem.

I finally bought custom ports from Bomon Corp in Canada. They are custom made, use tempered glass (no hazing.. low impact),and look great. The price was no more than the plastic Lewmar ports. Much stronger and really fixed my leaking problem.

http://www.bomon.com/EN_win_fixed.html