• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Thru-hull removal

Mike Thomas

Member II
This winter I am trying to replace all of the thru-hulls and sea cocks on my E-29. I am having a problem removing the 1-1/4 sea cock on the starboard side. I have removed the bolts but the sea cock was glued in place with what looks like 5200 or silicone. Either way I can't turn the valve. Can anyone offer some advice? :confused:

Thanks
Mike T
E-29 Zephyr
Babylon NY

valentor

Member II
Mike;

You say you have removed the bolts, so I assume you have flange type seacocks. Have you also removed the large 1.25" nut?

Once you have done that, you can tap on the body of the seacock from inside the hull and it will eventually break the seal. It was surely bedded with 5200 which may remove a little bit of fiberglas when the thru-hull finally breaks loose - but that is a small and simple repair job.

Regards;

Steve Valentor

Mike Thomas

Member II
Thanks for the input Steve.
Actually I got it out this weekend. A little help from a torch. Once I got the thru-hull out the sea cock came off easy. I didn't see a 1-1/2 nut though. The top of the sea cock is a hex but I didn't think it was a nut. I looked for a seam but couldn't see one. Where is the nut you are talking about? What does it do?

Mike T

JORGE

Member III
thru hull info

I know that Practical-sailor.com has plenty of articles, at least one about thru hull removing and installing.
On my E 32, I've removed all the old and frozen Gate valves, hoses, piping connectors, you name, it I probably removed it. Some gate valves were monkey wrenched and (Saws-all) reciprocating sawed. The Thru hulls were mounted with sealant of some sort. I used a block of 2x4 white pine and punched them out by tapping with a light hammer. Don Casey ( at Sailnet) articles explain another way by using blocks of wood and a long bolt. The idea was to not make damage. I found the intake for the head was only a 1/2" and enlarged the hole for a 3/4" Thru Hull. I will apply epoxy coating and then a polysulfide sealant when mounting the new bronze seacock. Im not sure if the mounting screws from outside are necessary when using polysulfide.

kevin81

Member II
If you need to replace the thru-hulls..........

In 2002 I had the thru-hulls replaced. I decided to replace both the thru hull fittings and valves. The existing thru hulls were Marlon - this time decided to use bronze. The Marlon valves were hard to operate. The existing thru hulls were fiberglassed into the hull. The replacement required cutting some of the fiberglass and then reinforcing to allow mounting of a threaded thru hull and seacock. I used "mushroom head" thru hull and UL listed marine seacocks. The seacocks are threaded and bolted to the hull. A backing board (Starboard brand) was used between the seacock and thru hull. The work was done by a reputable yard in Clear Lake, Texas. Attached is a picture.
Kevin O'Neill
E34

Attachments

• Thru-Hulls-sm.jpg
    Thru-Hulls-sm.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 895