• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

35-III Restoration

joerun26

Member II
I just purchased a 1987 35-III in need of restoration. Boat sat out of the water for 4 years. I found a 35-III manual on the website but the drawings included were for a 35-II. Does anyone have an electrical or plumbing drawings for a 35-III. ALso, (and I know this sounds funny).. but I cannot locate the bilge pumps (which is probably why the boat flooded). I believe they are supposed to be in the galley area ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Joe

rssailor

35 mk3

Joe,
The boat might have Jabsco diaphram bilge pumps which might be located by the engine or in the lazerette area. Follow the hoses for the pumps to their source from the bilge. Most likley the boat only has one bilge pump. Check out the wiring for the pump and also look in the bilge for the float switch.
I am not sure that Ericson had a plumbing or wiring diagram for the boat. Your batteries are located in the quarter berth with the main battery switch close by. Need more advice, contact me at Rssailor@yahoo.com. Ryan Schofield Owner Ryan's Marine Alameda, CA Ericson 25+ Moonglow

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Pumps and Switches and Intakes, Oh My.....

The standard factory setup is probably a large manual diaphram pump with the handle access adjacent to the helm station. There should also be an electric Par-Jabsco diaphram pump somwhere under the cockpit, with a
3/4" in hose (or similar) going forward to a small strainer in the main bilge. In that main bilge will be a Rule float switch. Near your main panel should be a Rule two-way switch with it's little indicator light. These switches have an "auto" setting one way and "manual" spring-resist toggle for that bat-handle switch the other way.
Note: After all this time any of this stuff could have been replaced at least once.
The original factory pumping system was expensive, and the manual pumps are quite rebuildable. That smaller Par-Jabsco item is about $200. to replace..... my '88 came with two and I have replaced one of 'em.
Per the calendar, the hoses to the big manual pump are due for replacement as well.

Best,
Loren

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Yep -

My manual diaphragm (mounted inside the cockpit combing) was sourced in the main bilge, right next to a 12v Jabsco pump which slung out the water as needed.

I never noticed that about that manual - it's the one that's been going around for years. It would be nice (if one existed at all) to get the right one in there...

Anyone have a correct E35-3 manual?

Do you have any pictures of this boat (inside and out)? I would love to see what she looks like... What's the extent of the damage? Not one of these deals, was it? :boohoo:

http://www.ericsonyachts.com/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=680&highlight=nightmare

//sse

joerun26

Member II
Sean / All -
Thanks very much for the links and suggestions. I'll be able to followup on your leads this weekend. I suspect that the pumps were removed at some point (hard to believe). Per the DC breakers - there should be one shower sump pump (with float switch) and one electric main pump (I haven't found either). Oh yeah, the manual whale pump suction was also removed and found plugged- Good thing she wasn't in the water - it would have looked like the photo Sean attached in his response.

Thanks again for the responses.
Joe

rssailor

Oh my sunk boat

Sean,
Is that a 32-3 or a 35-3 on the bottom on that lake in Kansas? Hope the boat got raised. Good reason to check out bilge pumps and hoses. Glad to have never experianced, nor seen a boat sink. Where is the boat that you are working on Joe? Would be curious to see some pics. Ryan Ericson 25+ Moonglow

Last edited:

Steve

Member III
Two DC pumps

Our 35-3 has two DC bilge pumps and a manual in the cockpit, I believe this was OEM. One DC in the main bilge and the other in the isolated aft last bilge, in theory if the stringers overflow the shower pump will take over with the main bilge. Also the shower bilge handles any water out of the bow area. (Many have reconfigured this pump to fully isolate the shower)

The two DC pumps are located on the starboard bulkhead just SB of the diesel in the engine compartment, rather tight and perhaps not the best location, but that’s where they put them. The manual was located in the SB aft corner of the cockpit just aft of the engine panel.

The E35-3 manual on this site and others does show a 35-2 in the drawing description, but it was likely universal to both, it appears to follow what is there.

Sounds like you found a jewel in the rough… keep those cards and letters coming!

Steve
E35-3 #156

John Yandow

Member I
Bilge pumps

Joe,
I replaced both of my DC bilge pumps a couple of years ago. They were located in the engine compartment, mounted on the bulkhead on the galley side. One was for the main bilge, with the on/off switch on the DC power panel. The other was for the show bilge located in front of the mast, there is a float switch in there. I'm sure that was original for my boat.

The manual is for the 35-3. I received a paper copy for an E35-3 owner in Florida, I scanned it and sent it to Sean. If this is still the one that is posted on the Ericson site. I have used both drawing you mentioned and they match my boat exactly. PS also have an E35-3 manual you can take a look at, it has more drawings in it.

Just to back up Steve's post....

Gary Morrison

Wiring and plumbing schmatics for E35-3

Hi Joe. Sounds like you have a project similar to mine: an E35-3 that had been let go. Mine (1985 model) had not out of the water or even used very much for 8 years (albeit fresh water, so no big deal), and was in pretty sad shape. Have just about finished re-wiring (including doubling battery capacity and adding a starter battery), and re-plumbing the whole boat, all to current standards. Am now re-doing all the exterior and interior woodwork ... big job! Anyway, I do happen to have original wiring and plumbing schematics for the boat; also an original owner's manual. What engine do you have and do you have the manual? Would be pleased to send copies of documents and photos to you ... face-to-face would be even better depending on your location.

Regards, Gary Morrison S/V Angeyja

joerun26

Member II
35 - III Restoration

Great responses - I attached a picture of the area you reference (Galley SB bulkhead) that has several holes where something was once mounted. AT this point, I've stripped the interior cabin and removed as much wood as I could (doors, cabinet drawers, table, liner molding to name a few. I've opened up the headliner and put a dehumdifier to help dry it out.

The boat only has one battery (large -would take two men and a boy to lift out). If anyone has accurate electrical and plumbing drawings for a 35-III I'd love to see them. I have the drawings from the 35-III manual (several which are for the mark II). Id like to get it back to original with 2 bilge pumps and two batteries.

It has a 3cyl. Yanmar diesel (3GM30F) which started and ran fine (after we changed the oil and used fresh fuel. I may also have a slight fuel leak. I've marked the sight glass on the fuel tank and have not seen anymovement, but each week upon entry in the cabin smell fuel and notice small amounts in the bilge.

I live in Richmond Virginia and the boat is in Deltaville Va on the hard at a marina.

Oh - as long as I've already rambled too long ... navigation equipment seems to respond well except I didn't get any response from the knot meter when someone rotated the wheel under the bow (does anyone know whether the boat needs to be in the water for this to work ??)

Attachments

• galley bulkhead.jpg
    galley bulkhead.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 275

Steve

Member III
Yikes, someone really butchered that boat!

:boohoo: Your pic is under the galley sink, looks like they ran the fridge tubes in through here also. Haven't seen a "camp" or "RV" type pressure tank on a boat before, now I have! Certainly not OEM on the 35-3. The DC pumps were not in here, they are in and on the engine compartment bulkhead directly SB of the transmission or heat exchanger, otherwise on the opposite port side of the waste paper box area.

Under the sink there should be three seacocks, one for the engine cooling, sink drain, and one for the combined two outboard cockpit drains. There is also the 2 valve drains from the 2 fridge boxes and a seawater and tank water foot pumps that bring water up to the sink. Other then a strainer for the engine seawater, -that is all she wrote for under the sink. It’s tight enough under there already. Your holes maybe where the strainer was?

Steve E35-3 #156