• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Knotmeter Wiring

kevin81

Member II
I have a 1989 E34 - does anyone know the routing of the knotmeter (and depthsounder) wiring? From the knotmeter (and depthsounder) the wiring enters a sleeve and runs up towards the V-berth. I checked under the V-berth and in surrounding compartments but cannot see any wiring or wiring sleeve. I cannot determine if the wiring is routed under the floor, under the starboard settee, or? I have a replacement knotmeter to install and do not want to cut the wiring and splice int the existing wiring.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In the fall of '88, when Ericson finished the boat that we have now, they (or someone) ran the Datamarine KM and DS wiring from the area below the forepeak down the (port) side the main panel was on, tucked up under the side deck. Plastic tie-wraps were used to bundle those into the other mess-o-wires there. This was above the soft liner material, of course.
:(
I had to extract all this when we changed instruments a couple of seasons ago.

Sorry I cannot be of more help. Your main panel is on the opposite side (starboard) as I recall.

Best,
Loren in PDX

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
It is probably routed under the floor through a grey "corrugated" plastic pipe, at least it is on my boat of a similar vintage. On my boat the pipe comes out under the quarter berth (and is accessed through one of those white twist on hatch covers). You might be able to run the new wiring through the same pipe if you pull a messenger line back through it using the existing wiring. I have also heard of people using a vaccum to suck a line through (with a wad of cotton tied to the end). The easiest solution would be to use the existing wiring, but you will have to cut it off the existing knotmeter and splice it to the new wiring with a coax connector. That is how I installed a new paddle wheel for my knot meter. You have to be very careful to make sure the splice is waterproof or above any water because coax wicks bilge water (my splice is attached to the bulkhead under a settee). However, you cannot cut or extend depth sounder wiring since the head is "tuned" to a specific length of wire. When I installed a new depth sounder, I could not get the wiring through the existing grey pipe (maybe a disconnect somewhere) so I ran it through the bilge, using the chase for the bilge pump hoses.

Last edited:

escapade

Inactive Member
Oh where, Oh where do the wires run?

On my 1988 E34 the wire for the knot-log runs thru the Port storage bin, port hanging locker, under the port side deck (under the zippered head liner), thru the galley cabinets, thru the aft cabin to the area under the helm. (Pedestal mounted instruments) Even if your present instrument doesn't follow this course there is no reason you can't do it any way that's easy for you. Remember, KISS! Also, contact your instrument manufacturer if you need to splice or cut the cable. On my B&G instruments the length isn't critical so I was able to shorten the run somewhat, but I would check first! BTW, it took me about a hour to fish the wire through in this fashion. Not nearly as tough as fishing the wind instrument wireing, though!
Have fun & sail fast
Bud 1988 E34 "Escapade"

clayton

Member III
On our 89 32-200, (similar layout to the 34) the knotmeter and depthsounder wiring run in plastic tubing under the floor and then up through the starboard settee storage area to the instrument panel over the icebox.

Clayton