• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New England Rendezvous?

chrism

Inactive Member
Are there any New England Vikings interested in a rendezvous? I know we don't have quite as many of the pretty girls on this coast as there are on the left coast, but still, I imagine there are a few of you out there that would like to meet up? Maybe Isle of Shoals? Boston Harbor Islands? Maybe Kingman or even the Vineyard? Block Island? The possibilities are endless!

Let me know what you think, I'm in Scituate, but I can get to most of the places I mentioned in a day or less, except Block Island and Martha's Vineyard.

.... I am also the only Ericson in Scituate Harbor!!!

Chris

p.s.- Photo below is a rough day of current against wind on the Buzzards Bay side of the canal... old pic, pre-awlgrip job.

Attachments

• warbonnet.JPG
    warbonnet.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 490
N.E. Rendezvous

Hi, My boat, an Ericson 83 25+ is docked in Groton CT. I would be interested in rendezvous next season 05. I have only owned this boat one season and spent most of last season getting used to it, and fixing, diesel, furler, and deck leaks. I am mainly a day sailer but plan on a trip to Block next season. If we can get a group and hook-up that would be good. There are a number of Ericson's on the eastern end of L.I. Sound.
Rich
s/v Breeze

Rendezvous

Hi There,
We have Sailed our E29 out of New Jerseys Manasquan Inlet since 1976, but have never been able to make any of the earlier rendezvous at Block Island or else where due to work, & family obligations. Now retired, family grown, would love to make the next one, or just get together this Spring or summer with whomever is out there.
Thanks,
Paul & Anne Marie Huch
732-892-2436

Sailsteve

I'm interested ...

Hi,

A rendez-vous with other Ericson owners would be fun. I'm at the Western end of Long Island Sound so a Block Island, Newport, Stonington,CT, or Eastern tip of Long Island event would be easier to get to. July or early August would bring out the most boats. July probably means somewhat calmer weather for a big group.

There are quite a few Ericson owners here on the Eastern end of the Sound who might be interested in this. You should also check with the manufacturer. It would be a big promotional tool for them. They might want to get involved in the planning.

Please keep me informed.

Thanks,

Steve Schwartz
Ericson 36-RH
"Glory Days"
sailsteve@aol.com

chrism

Inactive Member
Sailsteve said:
You should also check with the manufacturer. It would be a big promotional tool for them. They might want to get involved in the planning.
sailsteve@aol.com

Wow! After all that's going on with this site, do we REALLY want to get PSC involved?

Regarding Block Island... I'm in Scituate, Mass. and Block Island isn't the closest thing in the world for me, and it's also a very touristy place boat wise, right?

Is there anybody here from Massachusetts that would be interested in maybe doing some racing? Boston Harbor is a pretty central location, and I know that I've seen an Ericson in Hull! Boston Harbor has Hingham and Quincy, Braintree, Allerton Harbor, Hull Harbor, there must be some more Ericsons in that area. I've also seen one down in Plymouth...

Block Island is central for everyone else, it seems.

Chris

Steve

Member III
Sounds good.. but....

These things take time to catch on... I believe there was an active E group in the area when Ericson’s sold new, perhaps a few folks are left that could share some successful rendezvous secrets and NE locations.

I would be more apt to suggest a simple laid-back location/date, with no structure other then meeting each other and see how many show, then look down the road a year to a more “formalized” rendezvous depending on interest and lessons learned. I'm sure in the past the dealer/manufacture and various vendors supplemented the bill to further build on brand loyalty, -attracted folks with catered partys, race, prizes, etc.. I think we may be beyond this stage with our aging fleet.

Of course this is only my opinion.

Locations are nuts anywhere you go, we need a large/good anchorage or plenty of cheap moorings and the Vineyard seems a bit crowed with the problems in Edgartown. Nantucket is cool but expensive. Provincetown has plenty of anchorage, but far from provisions. Plymouth is limited. Cutty Hunk would be nice but chancy on room inside, and perhaps bumpy outside. Block Island does have the most space and amenities depending on the time of the year. Napatree (Watch Hill, RI) has space and laid back. Newport would be crazy. Jamestown, RI (Conanicut Island) is a thought, and there is always Shelter Island, NY. This may be a simple function of where the most folks are coming from!

FYI… check out what Hunter does in the NE, of course the difference is there is one of them at every mooring….

http://www.sailhunter.com/blockisland.html http://www.sailhunter.com/Index.html

Steve
E35-3 #156

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
chrism said:
p.s.- Photo below is a rough day of current against wind on the Buzzards Bay side of the canal... old pic, pre-awlgrip job.

Sweet picture - very nice! :)

//sse

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Mitch said:
Come join us in Brunswick in January: http://www.ericsonme.org./

Good Lord! Why have we not linked with you guys before?? Please stay on top of this - and get back to me in a few weeks, once all this EY.c/PSC stuff clears out, ok?

- Nice site, by the way! ;)

//sse

Steve

Member III
For what it's worth, this was Posted on the PSC web site:

Northeast Ericson Owners Association
Greg Alexander - Membership Chair
3 Colonial Drive
Deep River, CT 06471
Email: northeast_ericson_owners@att.net
(Open to owners from Maine to Virginia)

Greg, you still out there buddy, chime in anytime? (I will try the e-mail as well)

Steve

Steve

Member III
Neoa -

Heard from Greg, I'm sure he won't mind if I copy his response here, all of us not involved before with any prior E group can benefit, and perhaps other folks will be reminded of the group. I hope all of the 25-30 active members are registered on this site?

Steve

Original Message-----
From: northeast_ericson_owners@att.net [mailto:northeast_ericson_owners@att.net]
Sent: Friday, December 31, 2004 3:37 PM
To: Steve
Subject: Re: Is the NE Ericson organization still active?

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the inquiry. There are still some 25-30 active Ericson owners in the eastern LI Sound area. Since I maintain the Northeast Ericson Owners (NEOA) email site and the membership listing I can contact a lot of people. Unfortunately the newsletter has been upublished now for about 2 yrs. I have thought of resurrecting it since I have all the the old copies and header pages. That would gain some following.

I personally have attended 15 of the 17 original regattas and know most everyone who was involved in the founding and origination of the NEOA. The rendezvous' started at Block Island, then we went to Newport, Mystic, Shelter Island; to each location a number of times. The last one in 2002 was at Port Jefferson and had 27 boats.

I would be happy to work with people who might be interested in getting together for even a less formal rendezvous, since cost becomes an issue. Let me know.

Regards,

Greg Alexander
Membership Chair, NEOA
E34 Re-Leif

Sailsteve

Please put me on your mailing list.

Hi George,

Please add my name to your Northeast mailing list. I'm in Western Long Island Sound on City Island.

sailsteve@aol.com

Thanks,

Steve Schwartz
E-36RH
Glory Days

Steve

Member III
Not sure if he is on this list, or registerd

:confused: I checked the registered EYC member listings and I didn't find Greg, now I could have missed him since some use a different user name then actual name. Since he has not responded directly to this thread he will not get an auto-response e-mail, like we do. To this end, I would e-mail Greg directly, perhaps if enough do he may respond directly here.

Include:
This thread is located at: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=1717&goto=newpost

Steve

Steve

Member III
Have not heard from Greg

:confused: Sent a e-mail to Greg Alexander (northeast_ericson_owners@att.net) on the 5th, copying this thread link and indicated there as some [new] folks interested in a possible NE Rendezvous and their group? Haven't heard back or has Greg responded to this site?

Not sure what this means other then perhaps he's out of town? Either way, he indicated 25-30 other folks in that group, however haven't heard from them either.

We have the rest of the winter to see if this unfolds... so, if nothing happens, maybe think about Block Island in May or June, just an informal thing, -see how many Ericsons wander in for a night.. just a thought??

Sounds like the boys up in the northwest will need plenty of asprin the next morning in Port Townsend, WA., that or a good bail company....

Steve
e35-3 #156

cawinter

Member III
Heard from Greg

I heard back from Greg on 1/10, and I got on the owner list. Here are his comments on the summer cruise:

We are hoping to at least arrange an "informal regatta" since we have missed that past 2 years. Previous to that we had 17 out of 19 years with regattas. Generally they have been in the eastern LI, Mystic, Block Island or Newport areas. We have had as many as 65 boats to BI, but usually about 30-35 is typical. They have been lots of fun and last 3-4 days.

Sailsteve

Lists ...

Chris,

That's great news about the existing list. I'm curious about the breadth of geographical area it covers. I'm on the Westernmost end of Long Island Sound and on a nice summer weekend I see many Ericsons tooling around here. Frankly, there are lots of Ericsons in pretty much every harbor that I've sailed into. I never knew about any organization of Ericson owners until now.

I think it would be a fun thing to get as many of these great boats to a summer rendezvous at B.I. I wonder how we could go about getting the word out to those not on the mailing list?

One thing we probably could do is post notices at Yacht clubs for Ericson owners to sign up on the web site here and / or, walk around the various winter storage yards and leave notes on Ericsons for people to log on and sign up. We might get enough interest to get together a nice summer crusing event.

Whatcha think?

Steve
Ericson 36-RH
Glory Days

chrism

Inactive Member
Well... I wouldn't know where to begin.

We could post here, Sailnet, and the yacht club idea is a good one. I wish there was a way to get the names of the Ericson owners. If you see an Ericson in your harbor, get the name and the hailing port. We can then look up their names and addresses on the registry site. Can't think of the name but can find it.

What's his email? I want to email him directly and talk to him about joining.

Chris

cawinter

Member III
Greg info

Other Chris :) ,
Check the attached email down this list, and you'll find it. As usual, these activities come down to the 800 pound gorilla who makes it happen. I would imagine that most of us are just very busy with the normal day-to-day.

Steve,
I come up to Manhasset at least twice every year (from Atlantic Highlands). Great area. Reminds me of the eastern Sound where I sailed 10+ years ago. BI is 24 hours away outside Long Island. I'd like to come but crew for these long trips is always an issue.

chrism

Inactive Member
I wouldn't know mind being a gorilla, maybe a 400 pound one. I'd love to create a website for the rendezvous to add to my portfolio. I have the skills to create the flyers and such, so when we get things worked out, I'll be ready to help out. I think we obviously need to talk with those who have gone before about arranging moorage and such before we can think of setting a date. Of course, anchoring is no bigee for some, but a pain in the - for others.

Sorry about the mix up, didn't mean to answer someone else's message!

and wheres the attached file? couldn't find it?

Chris