• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

EY.c Future: All Other Issues

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
This is the place to discuss this site generally; what you think of it; what you would like out of the new site. Or, what concerns you have - or what makes you angry or frustrated about all this.

Please feel free to air anything here that is relevant to the operation, organizational direction, etc of this site. I am looking for feedback on all other issues not covered in the Cost, Usefulness or a National Ericson Owners Association.

Come on - sit down and spill it. I want to hear what you have to say. Be honest and just dump it out.

//sse

John Rogers

I have found this site to be very helpful on specific questions. I can't find any other source for information on the Ericson 30 that we have and treasure. I really appreciate having the ability to access information, and knowing that there may indeed be other 30 owners out there.

ccorcoran

Member II
Legal Issues...

Sean,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to address this question; however, here goes. At some point, you sold the website to PSC. What did you sell; content, URL, name? What are the legal issues surrounding this sale? Are you able to reclaim the URL; the name? Do we have to purchase anything from PCS or is this a done deal?

What can we, as a group, do to pressure PCS? I'm sure there are more than a few of us who have purchased new boats from the Kohlmann brothers over the years. I just want to make sure you're in a position to win without having to fight. The website deserves to survice and prosper and that should be done under your guidance.

Just my .02, however, I'll be happy to do what I can to help in this area.

Burton Mohr

Member I
future

as a new ericson driver, (35-ll) love this boat , would be very interested in a ericson assocation. would like to see items that would let others know that we are proud ericson owners(hats, shirts, jackets) also would like to see ericson owners meetings at boat shows. count me in .

u079721

Contributing Partner
Great Site

Being a former Ericson 38 owner I won't have much to contribute in the future - but while I owned the boat I found this site incredibly useful. If a regular sailing magazine subscription is worth $20 or so, then the Ericson specific information that can be gleaned from this group is certainly worth as much. A national association, with a larger base and more critical mass would only make things better.

In addition, the folks are without exception helpful and pleasant, with no concerns about flame wars or political debates.

sailingdeacon

Member III
This site is fantastic!

I would truly hate to see this site ended. It is a continuing source of information about my boat, plus a source of pleasure to respond at times. It makes owning an Ericson much more enjoyable.

One option to consider: Why not free to those who simply view it, but charge membership to ask a question? This way newcomers would look at and come back often - and at some time would for sure want to post. Usually the answers to a post are worth quite a lot. If it came down to loosing the site, we need to be told what it would take for a fee.

I also don't quite understand why you once owned the site, then sold it, but are
not willing to take it back if it can return a profit. If it goes chargeable, why does PSC have to be in it? We would always be at their mercy? I expect you or someone like you might be around longer than they will - what with today's economy.

sailingdeacon

Member III
takeover!

Hey, if you get this back from PSC - and I hope you do because I am really put out that PSC is so hard up they can't pay their bill - then why not open this up to both Ericson AND Pacific Seacraft owners. By the way this current PS attitude seems to be one of disdain for us anyway. Seems to me their interest is to sell new PS boats - not keep our older boats going indefinitely.

Brisdon

Inactive Member
I am distressed to hear that PSC is unable to pay the cost of keeping the site open. I love their boats and the quality that they represent in this industry. I hope another domino isn't about to fall as the demise of quality continues in America. Until I know more (and please fill me in!) I will hope for the best. I would also hate to loose this site. The boat I sail is an E 35-2. There were about six hundred of those built, and that's just one Ericson model. The longevity of these boats and the number of people who sail them, represents to me that there is a current and future need for this site. Best to ya! I'll stay tuned, Sincerely, Michael Brisdon Bornn

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Brothers in arms?

"Sailingdeacon" makes a good point. If Pacific Seacraft is so short of pocket money and/or foresight enough to ignore (or jetison) their large pool of past customers, there is no particular reason I can see why owners of other PSC boats could not join this group.
:cool:
Most of our technical discussions already cover the same issues. I would note that there are major construction differences between early Ericsons and later ones, and these "differences" are not more significant than the average older PSC boat. My Ericson-built Olson has a few key construction differences, but I find that engine and systems problems (and solutions!) are common to all the other Ericson-built boats.

Indeed, as all of these boats age beyond 20 and 30 years, we have to deal with major upgrades that may involve basic technology changes. From replacement portlights to through-hulls to different bed logs, Ericsons get upgraded at considerable time and expense -- Why? Because of their basic design integrity and construction quality. I would guess that owners of older PSC designs would have similar feelings and attitudes.
:)
That's my $.02 for this morning, YMMV,
Loren in PDX
Olson 34 #8
:D

clohman

Member II
Irreplaceable

:egrin: With no active dealers and owners manuals difficult to find, this site has been my savior on such matters as how to rebuild portlight seals, how to run the boom running rigging, cooling problems with the Universal diesel and where to locate replacement parts. I use it as a reference, mostly. I've learned a lot over the past 3 years. Without it, there would be a gaping resource hole for new Ericson owners. I'd be willing to pay $20 a year to keep it alive.

Last edited:

Ray Rhode

Member III
My 2 cents

This site has proved very useful and I have enjoyed contributing and have benefited from the information I found here.

On the subject of an Ericson Owners Association, I think that is what we have already. I don’t see the need to create a membership structure when we are already able to arrange raft ups and rendezvous within each region. On the question of Ericson logo items I think that could cause a problem with Pacific Seacraft since I assume that they own the copyright for the logo.

I believe that the discussion boards should be viewable by anyone but only members should be allowed to post and download. Prospective Ericson buyers should be able to post requests for opinions, etc. on a separate board without charge. This will allow us to continue to respond to this need at no cost to the looker and also encourage them to join if they purchase an Ericson.

I believe that Sean has found a good host for the site and that a small contribution of $5-10 a year should be enough to cover the hosting with something left over for Sean to cover maintenance and any upgrades. I don’t want to see any commercialization of the site and would prefer higher use fees.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189

Mindscape

Member III
Imho

This site is the best resource I've found for info on my boat and it's where I've 'met' the most Ericson owners. To that end it should be the foundation for what ever we do. I'm with Ray - we don't need an Owners Association since we already seem to have one. I'm certainly willing to pay to keep our site up and going. Some how we need to structure something that allows valuable resources that are not Ericson owners to continue to contribute (e.g. Seth and Sean are two that come to mind). I think I've seen posts from former owners once and a while, we want them to continue to post. I don't know that these folks will continue to contribute if they have to pay. Not sure of the best way to allow that - it's probably a question for Sean and based on the functionallity of the software running the board.

Regardless of what happens thanks to everyone that has contributed, Loren, Martin, Sean, Seth, Geoff, all the regulars, be aware that all of the time, info,pictures and opinions you lend to us is really appreciated. Boards like this don't work without peope like you.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Check the other thread...

Just as an FYI… Gene Kohlmann (President of PSC) has just replied to all the traffic on EY.c, in a post entitled “Why Should PSC Support EY.c?”. You may wish to get onto the site and place your $0.02 into the pot – so he knows there are many Ericson Owners concerned about this issue. Click here to open that thread directly:

http://www.ericsonyachts.com/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=1726

Thanks for your continued support!

//sse