• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Can you get scratches out of formica countertops?

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Hi all,

When tasked to divvy up some sandwiches, a recent crewmember decided the bare countertops were adequate cutting boards all on their own. Now I have knife marks in my galley - is it possible to buff them out with a high grit sandpaper or equivalent? Any suggestions on this, besides put the cutting board in clearer view next time?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ouch.....

First, apply the cutting board to the head of the offending crew.
:(
I have removed small blemishes with a cotton rag and acetone. Given he depth of the plastic laminate, it should be possible to remove 'some' material without blowing thru. Start with very fine grit (or finer!) and work up to 1000 and above. Maybe. Perhaps.

Edit: changed the sand paper recommendation to something better suited. I had forgotten just how fine a grit should be used on the plastic surface.

Last edited:

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Try covering the scratches with something like clear polyurethane and then either leave it or buff it out. Please don't start with 200 grit, i think it's too agressive! Start with at least 1000 and work your way down to the more aggressive stuff if you need to. Your final grit before buffing should be something like 3000 and done wet. Also, test whatever you're doing in an inconspicuous area first! Good luck and don't bring cavemen aboard your boat JK!

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Hate to say it but maybe you should take the knife to all of the Formica on the boat and standardize the patina throughout, naming the resulting pattern after the offender?

I have some battle scars on my own, which is 50 years old this season and looking pretty good considering.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Hate to say it but maybe you should take the knife to all of the Formica on the boat and standardize the patina throughout, naming the resulting pattern after the offender?

I have some battle scars on my own, which is 50 years old this season and looking pretty good considering.

now that gave me a chuckle!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Reinventing the Past

I see that the patterns of the 50''s and 60's are coming back!
Found this with a search. Just match those scars to this example... :)

Attachments

• vintage laminate.jpg
    vintage laminate.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 84