Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crack forward of the anchor locker

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Equanimity View Post
    The engine's support legs are rusting out from underneath itself. Apparently it runs, but should probably be replaced.
    That's a pretty big deal. Many find, when replacing motor mounts, that significant modifications are required to the wood & glass stringers the existing mounts are lagged into. The lag holes usually get stripped out and there's a lack of material to accommodate new bolts.

All of this renders the boat unusable for an extended time period. It also indicates a fairly low standard of boat maintenance--this could have been prevented with a $8 tub of lanocote. I'd check closely to see if this attitude carried over to othe parts of the boat.
    Ken
    '85 E32-3 "Mariah" #641
    Universal M-25

"Saltwater is the cure; sweat, tears, or the sea......"

Contributing Partner
    I can see several potential causes for the crack ahead of the anchor locker. The point is not how the crack was created at this point, but how bad and expensive it will be to fix? (Although knowing how it was formed may help come up with the repair.) This is a very high stress area, with the head stay pulling up, snagged anchor pulling down, plus the potential occasional dock bump. Being through the glass plies it will not be easy to fix and it will be an extensive/costly repair by a good fiberglass person.

I've done a fair share of glass and this is beyond something I would take on. My suggestion is to not go further with a purchase till having a really reputable fiberglass shop give you a hard dollar (not to exceed) estimate. This is in addition to a quality survey.

I do not want to sidetrack this thread, but what am I supposed to be doing with an $8 tub of Lanocote? I know I am not doing it, because I do not have any Lanocote.
    1987 E32-III "Glory Days"
    Hull #711
    Slip in Rock Hall MD.
    Home in Downingtown PA.

Contributing Partner
    It's just one version of corrosion prevention. The point was that somebody had done insufficient prevention and let a problem grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Kicker View Post
    It's just one version of corrosion prevention. The point was that somebody had done insufficient prevention and let a problem grow.
    Understood. Now back to our regular programming.
    1987 E32-III "Glory Days"
    Hull #711
    Slip in Rock Hall MD.
    Home in Downingtown PA.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Kicker View Post
    Polite and refined bunch of "Vikings"...
    I thought that someone, considering that the product is used to prevent galling of dissimilar surfaces, would suggest a Risqué use of the 8 # tub !
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Contributing Member III
    I would not buy this boat. Listing link?

Contributing Partner
    Knowing what I know now... I would pass on the boat as well. She looks like she's met with one too many concrete walls in her travels. That said, as people have mentioned, doing fiberglass work isn't really that hard. The crack(s) are probably easily fixable, especially since you can get at both sides without disassembling a lot of furniture. Even if you have to cut out the anchor locker, making a new one and taping it in isn't that big a job. Doing a proper fix will involve removing a lot of existing glass to get the proper tapers and laying in a good deal back. You'll want a pro to do that work as that area is the thickest/highest stressed part of the boat. My guess is 4k to 6k to fix it properly.

If the boat was in really great shape otherwise, and you could take cost to fix out of the asking price and could have a yard do the repairs over the winter, maybe. If the boat is just average, has serious corrosion on the motor mounts and unkown original motor, needing sails, electronics, etc.? Find another project I'd say. Good bones are important and you'll want to use her as you improve her vs. waiting year(s)