• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Where is the hot water heater usually located on an E-39 flushdeck

RenDe

Member II
Hi I am slowly bringing things back to life and got the pressure water system working. The boat has what looks like seperate plumbing for a hot water heater but I haven't found the heater. I have not been able to dig into the aft quarterbirth as that's where I've temporarily stowed all the sails and the remaining gear so I am hoping it's there an just not hooked but I haven't been able to find it yet.

Also I have a tang on the forward side of the mast below deck. Does anyone know what this is for - it's not hooked to anything and shows no wear signs like it has been used for anything.

Thanks
Ren

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Also I have a tang on the forward side of the mast below deck. Does anyone know what this is for - it's not hooked to anything and shows no wear signs like it has been used for anything.

can't help on the water heater question

That tang on the mast below deck, though, is probably for a "tie-rod". If you think about the loads on the boat when sailing, the shrouds put upward tension on the chainplates, and the mast is pressed down onto the keel. Many of our boats have a tie-rod that connects the mast to the underside of the deck just to make sure that the upward and downward loads in that area are balanced and don't cause any deflection of the deck.

There should be a corresponding tank underneath the deck where the mast comes through. If so, it's designed for a short (adjustable) piece of rigging wire to connect so that the mast and the deck stay connected there.

Bruce

gabriel

Live free or die hard
can't help on the water heater question

That tang on the mast below deck, though, is probably for a "tie-rod". If you think about the loads on the boat when sailing, the shrouds put upward tension on the chainplates, and the mast is pressed down onto the keel. Many of our boats have a tie-rod that connects the mast to the underside of the deck just to make sure that the upward and downward loads in that area are balanced and don't cause any deflection of the deck.

There should be a corresponding tank underneath the deck where the mast comes through. If so, it's designed for a short (adjustable) piece of rigging wire to connect so that the mast and the deck stay connected there.

Bruce

interesting. i thought about the same dynamic you describe on my e25 because the mast post sits on the floor liner and there's some flex there. I came to the conclusion that it didn't matter much because the forces on a 25 foot boat are too small.

gadangit

Member III
If I had a EYO compatible computer this would be a vertical mast. No amount of editing, changing size, rotating makes a difference. Sorry...
View attachment 27735
As Bruce mentioned, there should be a thru deck fitting that the rod is attached to at the top. I took out my thru deck fitting and bolted a plate to the underside of the mast base plate bolts. This stops the deck from rising in response to tightening halyards running through blocks attached to the mast base.

If I recall correctly, I took a rusty nasty approx 18" cube of a water heater from the port side lazarette. Haven't replaced it.
Chris

Attachments

• 20190909_145539 Small 2.jpg
    20190909_145539 Small 2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Inside Tie Rod, E-39.jpg
    Inside Tie Rod, E-39.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Just lay the monitor on its side....."

Dragged to the desktop and rotated.
:)

gadangit

Member III
20190909_145539 Small 2.jpg

Well look at me! I guess I have to post first, then pull to desktop and then use paint to rotate? And then repost. Oh boy.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Show off. :)

What editing program do you use?

Being a cheapskate/sailor, I use "Preview" , a surprisingly powerful photo app built in to the MacOS.
I used to own/use the Light version of Photoshop, but they changed it to subscription product and also made it way too complicated for a casual user such as me.

gadangit

Member III
Being a cheapskate/sailor, I use "Preview" , a surprisingly powerful photo app built in to the MacOS.
I used to own/use the Light version of Photoshop, but they changed it to subscription product and also made it way too complicated for a casual user such as me.
I wonder if the Mac leaves a more compatible file than what my PC does. My native files or massaged files just won't show properly.
Sorry RenDe for the temporary threadjack.

RenDe

Member II
Mystery solved

So I found the shelf the hot water heater had been on, Aft and port side of the engine. No water heater. All the hoses had been blocked off. I then found a small instant water heater in the bathroom cabinet. I’ll be adding a water heater back in.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
post first, then pull to desktop and then use paint to rotate?

The first thing I do is find the original photo on the computer (not in any collection or other convenient program that displays photos). To do that on a PC, right-click the photo and choose "Locate on Disk". That photo is in the "original" orientation. If it's wrong, just copy the photo to the desktop, correct/crop/resize, then save it. (Saving it on the desktop make the changes permanent).

I.e., don't upload first, upload last. (Sean, the forum owner, promises upgraded forum software soon which may streamline this)

Water heater:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?238-Water-Heater-Replacement-Raritan-to-WM-Kuuma

gadangit

Member III
post first, then pull to desktop and then use paint to rotate?

The first thing I do is find the original photo on the computer (not in any collection or other convenient program that displays photos). To do that on a PC, right-click the photo and choose "Locate on Disk". That photo is in the "original" orientation. If it's wrong, just copy the photo to the desktop, correct/crop/resize, then save it. (Saving it on the desktop make the changes permanent).

I.e., don't upload first, upload last. (Sean, the forum owner, promises upgraded forum software soon which may streamline this)

Water heater:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?238-Water-Heater-Replacement-Raritan-to-WM-Kuuma
I truly do understand all of this. All of my pictures are in the correct orientation when on the computer or on my phone. They rotate when uploaded. I've spent a lot of time messing with the files and this feature is very frustrating.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As I understand it (and that's 11 percent max), portable devices are the main source of frustration. The desktop seems to work OK for most, but phones and tablets are a bridge too far.

RenDe

Member II
E-39 water heater size

Ok you e-39 flushdeck owners. How big is your hot water heater and is it the original. The space the original one was mounted in doesn't seem very big like maybe 6 gallon sized place. Please let me know what is on your boats. If you upgraded can you let me know what you upgraded to and why?