• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

new mainsheet E35-2

steven

Sustaining Member
Time for a new mainsheet. Wondering what size, type, brand.

Currently 70feet x 1/2inch single braid. Brand unknown.

Maybe replace with 5/8 double braid ?
I've checked the sheaves and it looks like they can take the wider line.
I'm thinking the 5/8 will be easier to handle.

Any drawbacks from going to the larger diameter ?

thanks

--Steve

gabriel

Live free or die hard
i just bought new sheets and halyards for my boat and this is what i've learned:

the size of line you buy is mostly dictated by your block sizes, too big a sheet and it won't feed smoothly. wider ropes look cooler and are easier on tender hands but they're also bulky, cost more and still don't feed as well on smaller rigs.

rope types:

can't explain it's too much but what are you looking for? performance, cost or a little bit of both? Based on that I can make a few recommendations from my own research.

steven

Sustaining Member
cruising, so performance is secondary, Ease of handling is priority.
I was at a couple of boat stores and some of the ropes are stiff and some are slippery. Any idea what would feel right for a cruiser?
Also, if possible will probably get solid blue so it looks cool.

Not concerned about weight or cost (for this small amount of line).

gabriel

Live free or die hard
sounds like my situation, i also wasn't looking for performance so i went with sta set. comes in blue as well.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Steve,

Why go up in size? New lines are stronger than old. Isn’t the 1/2” line okay on the hands? I might go smaller, if anything. Large line is more costly and is overkill for strength. Maybe you could add purchase to the system and the “hand” would be less an issue.

Slick470

Member III
cruising, so performance is secondary, Ease of handling is priority.
I was at a couple of boat stores and some of the ropes are stiff and some are slippery. Any idea what would feel right for a cruiser?
Also, if possible will probably get solid blue so it looks cool.

Not concerned about weight or cost (for this small amount of line).
A quick note on the stiff and slippery comment. Some ropes have a bit of that when brand new but will get softer and grippier once they are washed. There is a lube that the manufacturers use that can make the line feel different right off the roll.