• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1980 E35mk2 Replacement Rub Rail

Aloha313

Aloha...

Been searching this topic for the correct replacement Wefco r/rail part number but keep striking out. Or, have many of you just replaced the track and new r/rail? Any help with details will be much appreciated.

Mahalo!
S/V Mauka Makai

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Are you referring to an aluminum extrusion (no longer available) or is it plastic with a neoprene insert running down the middle (Wefco May have those).

See Christian’s blog about rub rail replacement.

p.gazibara

Member III
Has anyone just removed the rub rail? The insert on Cinderella has some IV damage and now when we scrub it, a white chalky film drips down. It seems like the stuff is getting harder and harder to find.

-P

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Aye, There's the Rub....

Has anyone just removed the rub rail? The insert on Cinderella has some IV damage and now when we scrub it, a white chalky film drips down. It seems like the stuff is getting harder and harder to find.

-P

There is a late 80's E-34 in Portland with no rub rail at all. I have seen up close, and it looks slick like "factory".
However, the owner paid for considerable yard labor to finish out the exposed seam and then have it LPU painted to match the hull color.
First time I saw it, I was not sure if it was an Ericson or not. :rolleyes:
Wish no aluminum "rub rail" oval over the seam it looked different, to me.

Given that the rub rail (really a seam cover) has no structural importance, it is not an illogical change. There is a lot of prep work (i.e. labor) to get it to the needed finish point for paint.

Note that while the aluminum piece (or a replacement vinyl piece) can be scratched or damaged by contact with docks or other boats, it does sacrifice its surface to maintain the gel coat surface.

If maintaining a 35 Mk2, I would look into the vinyl replacement option if the aluminum was too far gone. (YMMV)
Or, it repainting the hull, just remove the rub rail completely. Academic for me, tho.... so opinion not worth much.

Glenn McCarthy

Glenn McCarthy
I removed the rubrail this past spring, description with photos - http://www.chicagonow.com/sail-lake-michigan/2019/07/restore-a-sailboat-june-2019/

Making an addendum to that work, now that we have one season on it, I had not put a 1" wide fiberglass tape around the whole boat before filling. I just put filler on. I would revise this to say adding a 1" wide piece of fiberglass tape all the way around is required before any fill. I have about 3'-4' in various places that have a small crack in different places.

I was up against the clock to get this job done (stored outdoors) as I ran into problems in the yard in the fall that greatly slowed my plan, and the spring was cold and rainy. I was putting finish paint on 17 hours before we launched as it was. I wished I had put the tape on.

I would only recommend it if you have the new larger rudder installed on the E35 MkII. With the original small rudder, the rubrail is needed getting in and out of the docks as the rudder is useless at low speeds.

Last edited: