• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Offer accepted E34-2 Survey particulars?

drrhill

Hi, it's Rand in Bellingham. It took a year to find her, but I've got a sea trial and survey coming this Friday on a 1990 34-2. Are there any issues to be vigilant about that I may want to explore with the surveyor specific to the mark? She's been on the hard for just over a year while the PO decided whether the switch to power boating was a good idea. She's a creampuff to my untrained eye. The motor, repowered to a YGM30F, is being serviced this week. Her bottom is blister-free, topsides and deck are shiny with zero crazing in the corners, and she sports a pair of brand new North cruising sails. Are there any issues that may be hiding to watch for?
Rand

L

Leslie Newman

There are many things that can go wrong with any boat. Keep emotion in check as you take a hard look at the boat.

My short list would be something like-

1. Wet deck from water coming in through any deck hardware? Any where there is a bolt through the cored deck is a potential for water ingress. If the core gets wet, the balsa will rot and the deck will get soft. A good surveyor is going to sound the deck and hull for wet.
2. Surveyor will double check for blisters while sounding the hull with his hammer that makes me cringe every time he whacks the boat.
3. How old is the cushion foam? How is the cushion fabric?
4. How old is the transmission? Is it filled to the proper level with new fluid? It also replaced with the diesel?
5. Engine is new to boat. What is its year? Hours?
6. Keel bolts/nuts, how do they look?
7. Stuffing box...dripless or conventional. How does all that look?
8. Watch the shaft as it turns during sea trial. Any vibration? How does the cutlass bearing look in the strut? How's the prop?
9. Can the engine make the correct RPM while motoring? Run hot? Smoke? When was the impeller changed?
10. Anchor and rode, how is all that?
11. Does the stove work?
12. What electronics comes with the boat? Vintage? Does it work?
13. Has the standing rigging ever been replaced?
14. How is the running rigging? Ropes need replacing? All that means money.
15. Is the cabin dry? Any signs of water coming into the cabin anywhere?
16. All the thru-hulls look good?
17. Wheel steering? Check cables, chain, etc.
18. Rudder have any cracks? How does the rudder bushing at the hull look? How loose is the rudder shaft in the boat? Shake the rudder.
19. You won't know if the bilge is normally dry until it has been in the water for a while. I like having a dry bilge.
20. Fuel tank original?
21. Water tanks metal or plastic? Can you visually inspect them inside? My E380 I can open access ports and reach inside to clean them.
22. Holding tank lines, have they ever been replaced? Holding tank look sound? How is the toilet?
23. Check the fresh water system.

I am missing lots. Key point is take a long hard look at the boat keeping your emotions in check. There are so many parts of a boat that cost money and the less things needing to be replaced the better. But things like the standing rigging, they now say replace every 10 years on new boats. Older boats the interval is 12 years, but I bet that is rarely done. Mine I am sure is original on a 1994 boat. I am going to replace the standing rigging next year. I am already in the process of replacing all the chain plates. One down, seven to go.

Hope the survey is stellar for you.

drrhill

Good list. Thank you Leslie

Great list to walk through with the Surveyor, for sure. I've read that there are some common issues to watch out for, like rot under the anchor locker pan and possible keel/mast support issues. Just wondering if there are other Ericson specific or 34-2 specific items to be particularly wary of. Thank you Leslie.

Teranodon

Member III
A good surveyor will spot the obvious things that could queer the sale, like wet decks or unsafe lifelines. I had a really fine surveyor in Bellingham, hopefully yours is the same guy. But he probably won't tell you about the hundred little things that could turn a 30-year old creampuff into a project boat. Even if the survey is positive, you want to have some kind of idea of how much money and effort it will take to make your boat be the way you really want it to be.

How are the cushions? Still firm enough to sleep on?

Any funny smells in the cabin?

Does the electronics suite belong in a museum? How's the VHF radio? Does Bellingham support the channel-28 test?

Take a look inside the breaker panel. Is it full of crappy connections or mysterious wadded-up dead-end wiring?

Why was the engine replaced? If it's got some hours on it, you might have the oil analyzed. That became a big deal with my boat.

Check all of the lights (running, anchor, deck, turn signals, etc). Fixing those can be a bear. Are the cabin lights LEDs? Do they work?

Do the zippers in the headliner work? Nah, forget it, they don't.

Look into the secret compartment under the cushion just forward of the sink. It may tell you something about the condition of the boat before it was listed for sale.

Is there a decent "smart" battery charger? How many house batteries?

Radar? Turn it on. Is it an antique?

Any play/backlash in the steering? Although it's a pain, go into the quarterberth and remove the panel under the pedestal (four screws). Is there play in the idler plate sheaves? If so, it's a big job to fix. Inspect those %^$#! half-inch aluminum nuts. Under power, does the boat track straight? Mine doesn't and no one can figure out why. If yours does too, maybe you can get something knocked off the price. (Naturally, if it doesn't track under sail, walk away).

Is there a wind instrument at the masthead? Does it work?

How are the dinghy and outboard? Those things cost money.

Use the head. Any leaks while pumping? How's the sink plumbing? Inspect the fittings on the holding tank, especially the lower ones (use a flashlight). Are the hoses old, thin and smelly? Is there a macerator pump? Pumping out at a marina in Canada is considered to be unreasonable. While you're at it, take a look at the muffler/exhaust hose (I didn't know boats had mufflers until I found out the hard way), and the water heater. Any corrosion, wetness? After running the engine, see if you have lots of hot water.

Pull the panel in the qberth and look closely around the shaft seal. Then look up at the ground bus. Is it clean or corroded?

Is there propane on the boat? Is it properly installed, with a detector? You can test the latter with a bbq lighter. Is there a CO detector?

Is there a cabin heater? Test it. Same for any fridge (bring an IR thermometer if you have one), stereo.

Is the stove CNG? If so, you'll probably need to get rid of it. Is the bulkhead aft of the stove saturated with grease?

Look closely at the running rigging. Do the blocks have bearings? If not, you'll have to pay to upgrade. Vang: solid of soft? Lazyjacks? Look at the traveler, those things take a beating.

Is there a whisker pole (boy, those things are expensive!) Is there a spinnaker with all of the gear? I assume the genoa has a furler. Is the furling line led in a sensible way?

Does the boat have a windlass? Installing one is a big, big project.

Run some line through all of the winches. Feel OK?

Is there a signal halyard? Huh? Maybe I better stop.

So that's all I can think of at the moment. Don't get me wrong. I love my E34! Good luck.

Last edited:

drrhill

A full day indeed!

Thank you very much Stephan and Loren. Great input. It will be an interesting day.
Rand

drrhill

It will have a few projects, but.....

I bought her and am stoked beyond belief. The surveyor pointed out some issues, which brought the price down to a much less stressful amount, and I'll bring it home to Bellingham, WA in a week or two!
So excited,

Rand

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I bought her and am stoked beyond belief. The surveyor pointed out some issues, which brought the price down to a much less stressful amount, and I'll bring it home to Bellingham, WA in a week or two!
So excited,

Rand

And we are all excited for you! :)
You have done more "due diligence" than a lot of buyers ever do.

Keep us posted as as you find new problems and new solutions, and post up some pix. That is a lot of boat and can see you thru several decades of sailing enjoyment.

Hope you will attend the 2020 Rendezvous.

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Congrats and welcome to the fam! Would love to see pics and hear about the projects :)

drrhill

Rendezvous

And we are all excited for you! :)
You have done more "due diligence" than a lot of buyers ever do.

Keep us posted as as you find new problems and new solutions, and post up some pix. That is a lot of boat and can see you thru several decades of sailing enjoyment.

Hope you will attend the 2020 Rendezvous.

Thanks Loren, I was hoping for 2019 and actually did walk the docks at Anacortes when you guys were there. I considered Shaun's 38 a week or two before the rendezvous. It was more boat, and maybe a little more work than I was looking for. I'll plan for next year. Has the location been determined?
Rand

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Welcome aboard from that E34 sailor out in the real sailing area of the North West! Port Angeles on the Straights of Juan de Fuca. When you feel comfortable with the boat, come out and visit. Don't listen to those scardy cats in Puget Sound. The 34 is ideally prepared for this type of sailing. Terra Nova does not pound in the chop and I have done crossings of the Straights at 7 to 7.2 knots hard on the wind in 6' square top waves. On the other side I have done 2 1/2 knots when the wind isn't even rippling the water. What a sailor!

I bet you can't guess I love my 34. Great choice!

patrscoe

Member III
Congratulations.
I recently purchase my 34-2 late last December 2018 and have not regretted the purchase.
Sailboat's interior is spacious and I like the aft head and stateroom, especially underway non-stop for a long distance cruise.
And the best part is that she sails beautifully and have really enjoyed my 34-2.

She looks well maintain, at least from the images.

I also agree with a previous comment, this is a great owner's website with extremely helpful owners and extensive information on past threads. Any time I had a question or concern, they have been quick to respond with logical solutions.