• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34 Morse (transmission, throttle) cables question

Teranodon

Member III
Does anyone know the correct routing path for the cables? Coming out of the pedestal, they go aft under the steering quadrant and take a downward dive next to the rudder post, then emerge near the shaft seal. Where do they go in between? Do they run pretty much on the centerline, under the fuel tank? Or do they go off to the port side somewhere?

In case I need to replace, it there a source for these?

Many thanks for any replies.

sharonov

Member II
Replaced mine a couple years ago. I started by pulling messenger lines using old control cables. Then took the cables to West Marine and ask for a replacement. They knew the type and just matched the length by stretching old and new on the floor. Sometimes you may see the cable type printed on the jacket. I am sure you can measure them yourself and get them elsewhere for less money. I figured I was already saving a bunch by doing work myself and I could always return them if they did not work for any reason. I then installed the new cables by pulling through with messenger lines. As I recall messenger lines served mostly to show how the old cables were routed. Now, I am not convinced that the length or routing of the old cables were optimal but it worked.
Overall that was one of the easier jobs with huge payoff. The old cabled were badly damaged where I could not see. I could however tell that they were due for a replacement because they were so stiff. I think this is really a safety concern. A friend of mine had a control cable snap while he was docking at the marina. Not a pleasant situation to say the least.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I did the same but used 1/8 nylon messenger line.chinched to the cable. The method worked well. The Edison pedestal was a big pain to get the cables past. Had to break the steering chain to get the cables past them. It still took profuse four letter words to get them to go through.

As one wag said "Do not attempt to do this job if you can't swear". Good luck. :0

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I think they can run anywhere convenient--just not where we'll be standing or sitting on them when working under there.

All that matters is no sharp turns in the cables, which may mean that longer is better than shorter.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Under the fuel tank is about the only way forward on the 34. It's very tight around the tank. There is a price to pay for the generous double cabin in the stern of the boat. :rolleyes:

Teranodon

Member III
I finished the job yesterday and can confirm that here are at least two ways to run the cables. One goes off to port and results in too much friction. Down the centerline, under the tank, is the way to go. It really takes two people, one of them under the helmsman's seat, one in the quarterberth.

Buried alive.jpg

Getting in and out of that space is a real art. Once mastered, it's easy. If my boat is ever caught in a serious storm, I could just hide in there until it's over.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I have lead ingots glassed onto the hull on the port side leaving only the centerline route open. Congratulations on completing the job! You look smaller inside the locker than outside it.