• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacing the Foam Backed Vinyl in the V-Berth Shelves

kapnkd

kapnkd
Early 70's Ericson boats had nice wood trimmed V-berth storage compartments with a soft (foam backed) vinyl inside them. As we slowly finish up all of our "Never Ending" major projects, it was finally time to put new foam backed vinyl into the shelves on our '73 E32-II before re-installing the wood trim. I found vinyl foam online at a reasonable rate that came in a 54" wide by whatever length ordered.

Measurements were taken of widths for the top of the bin, sidewall and added to the bin floor which (luckily) came to right at 27" for us - - half the overall width of the material ordered. I made a chart of those 3 measurements in 3 areas - front, middle and back of the bins and then used a marker to make lines on the foam side as a visual when lining it all up in the bins. (This made it easier to see that the vinyl was not wandering off at an angle when gluing in place.)

The vinyl was also folded along those lines to insert into the bins leaving only the foam side exposed. 3M spray adhesive was used which requires coating BOTH surfaces. I started with the top, insuring I could see my marked line for the corner between the top and wall side. It was fairly easy to use the spray glue and was surprised that all thumbs me didn't make a big mess with it.

Shelf Vinyl.jpg

Next came the wall sides but I didn't coat every square inch as the vinyl lay nicely in place by itself. The bin floor was the last area to be glued and again I didn't have to coat every square inch. This will make it easier for the next time (IF ever) it needs to be removed/replaced.

Shelf with Vinyl.jpg

As a last detail, I was gifted some Hoover LED remote control lighting pucks about 3" in diameter. I've put one in the center section of each side which adds a nice color changeable lighting effect and convenience to the V-Berth now. ...These took more time to install the batteries than it did to mount them! And ...YES these do have red as a color as well.

Shelf LED 3.jpg
Shelf LED 2.jpg
Shelf LED 1.jpg