• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacing water fill line on E38 (1980). Any suggestions?

Touchrain

Member III
Has anyone replaced deck fill line in aft settee water tank on E38. It appears to go behind secondary icebox and is held in place by insulation, judging by a view through lazy Susan space. Yanking doesn’t work and I can’t see easy access to the area with insulation. I have a leak back there. Thanks.

Attachments

• E395CE57-B73B-4EEE-B5C1-D4B706AFE65D.jpg
    E395CE57-B73B-4EEE-B5C1-D4B706AFE65D.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 65
L

Leslie Newman

I am not familiar with that year e38. Mine is a 94 E380 and the tanks are probably all different.

I suspect you are going to have to carefully demo to get at what you need. Along those lines a member of our yacht club just went through dealing with a fuel tank leak in the bow of his 38' Caliber, under the anchor locker floor. Apparently under the anchor floor was a diesel fuel bladder which he used as a holding tank for fuel and he has some method to transfer fuel from the bladder to the main tank. He had to remove all his chain, then take a sawzall to the anchor floor to get at the bladder. Sometimes, depending on how the boat was put together, getting at things is tough.

Hopefully a 1980 E38 owner has more insight.

Possibly you could use this type Endoscope to probe around to see what you are facing under the wood.

https://www.amazon.com/Seesi-Endosc...t=&hvlocphy=9018733&hvtargid=pla-781022053882

Touchrain

Member III
Good advice. In the end, I tried to ream out the insulation with a drill-bent coat hanger- but couldn’t get it to budge. Slapped my forehead and just slipped a new hose, one size smaller into the older one-my wife may have suggested this at the start. Still plenty big to fill tank. (Of course, I had to put reducer barbs and bits of hose on each end to fit fittings on fill and tank.) thanks.

Last edited: