• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

M-25 Remote Oil Filter Mount Options?

Dan R.

Does anyone have experience with installing a remote oil filter mount for the M-25 (5421)? Considering the placement, it's nearly impossible to spin off without losing oil. Every time I replace the oil filter, I end up with black gold all over the side of the engine and dripping into the bilge.

I found an option from Westerbeke, part number 40078, but it's $300+ from various online sources. Has anyone found an alternative for less?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Filter location change...

Friend of mine owned an E-33 with a Universal M25, for over 20 years, and had long ago converted to a remote filter.
I sent your question over and his reply follows:

" The system I installed on the E-33 was from Amsoil

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...rsal-dual-remote-bypass-system/?code=BMK23-EA

Amsoil doesn't list a single remote full flow filter system. Shouldn't be too difficult to find (google). Basically, the essential item you need is an adapter to replace the spin on filter (has in & out ports for the plumbing to/from the remote filter - inlcuded with the Amsoil kit). "

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Sloppy oil filter change

I cursed the horizontal filter for the last 12 years.....

This year I did a google search to see if there was an easier way to get to the secondary fuel filter and it got me to a youtube video where the guy was showing how to change the oil filter.....

After a bit of comedy, he put a pint yogurt cup under the filter....punched a hole in the bottom of the filter....then the top....all of the oil ran into the cup.....no mess!

I tried it just a few weeks ago.....worked like a charm....just loosened the filter....punched the holes...let the oil drain until it stopped dripping.....wrapped a paper towel between the block and the filter and nary a drop spilled as I spun the filter off and let it drop into the cup.....made disposal easy also....

Lot cheaper and less work than installing a remote.