• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Forespar steaming/deck light led replacement

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Has anyone replaced the bulbs on a Forespar steaming/deck light fixture with LED's? I'm trying to find LED replacements and having a hard time finding the top (steaming) light.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi Mark,
While I understand replacing bulbs with LED in high use areas, like salon, anchor light, the steaming light is mainly used while motoring at night, so the alternator would easily replace any battery amps used for the streaming light. Just puzzled why you feel the need for that change.
Frank

gadangit

Member III
Hi Mark-
I am pretty sure I replaced the steaming light with a festoon LED lamp. The replacement was not a coast guard certified (or whatever that would be) lamp, but has worked just fine and bright for a few years with lots of night use. Let me do some research in the morning to see what I did.
All those little loads add up!
Chris

gadangit

Member III
Just puzzled why you feel the need for that change.
Frank
Hi Frank-
Speaking for Mark, he has an electric motor for propulsion and at night will be completely on battery. No solar to help, every little load reduction makes a difference.
Chris

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Frank,

Chris is right - electric drive so no alternator. Additionally I want to replace the anchor light. The current bulb for the anchor light is 10 watts @12 volts festoon (with indentations on the ends) 1 3/4" long.

Thanks for checking Chris.

gadangit

Member III
Assuming you have the ML-2, Defender sells the Forespar LED replacement for the steaming part of the fixture. It is pricey. I can't find my original order, but I think I spent some time researching this and purchased an identically spec'd "off brand" festoon LED lamp for just a few bucks.
Forespar PN 132325

For the anchor light I got one with a photocell that turns it off automatically. I am certain this has saved me countless hours of sailing around with my anchor light on.

Chris

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks Chris. So the steaming light replacement is a 360 deg. projection "bulb" and limited to 225 deg. by the light housing/mast. Now I get it.

mordust

Member II
Have you tried Marinebeam. They have a chart where you can pretty much match your bulb to pictures on the chart.
Then call them to confirm. They have always been very helpful and I have been happy with their lights. I have replaced all
of the bulbs and/or fixtures on our current E32-3 as well as our former boat, an E27, which also was electric powered BTW.
Bob

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
+1 on MarineBeam.

Not only are they great to work with, their LEDs have some sort of magic built into them (voltage regulator circuitry?) that allows them to work across voltage variations.

Some of the cheaper LEDs *only* work at 12V, and if the voltage drops below a certain value (I've heard 11.6V) the LED doesn't light up.

$.02
Bruce

sharonov

Member II
Another vote for Marinebeam. Well made and reasonably priced, at least compared to other brand names. I replaced all lights, internal and external with their units.
Another thing to consider is a retrofit LED bulb vs. a new sealed LED unit. Retrofit will be significantly less expensive, less work and may or may not satisfy USCG regulations. Sealed unit costs more but prevents bulb/receptacle corrosion and is USCG certified. Just look inside any old navigation light. I am really surprised they work at all.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks Everyone.

It's kind of fun that there are multiple EP folks on this thread. SolAire, Cinderella, Lotus Flower and Celerity's older sister ;-)

BTW, Pajo, how about an update?