• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacing sidewall teak

frick

Member III
looks good

For interior use, it's hard to beat good old Gorilla Ultimate construction adhesive which is waterproof. Make sure to get this black wrapper.
71QKSNLmX-L._SL1024_.jpg

Spread it with a cheap plastic trowel/spreader and be quick. Hold the part in place for 5 minutes and it's not coming off.

Have your parts really ready to go up the first time. In other words practice.

I know the purists don't like it but I wanted to avoid anything which could degrade and got Acacia luxury vinyl floor planks at Home Depot. They match the teak incredibly well. This is one laid against the bulkhead. Since the sidewall is a different orientation and there are so many shades of teak, the slight different is not noticed.
20190707_203147-L.jpg

What a great idea.
Rick

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yeah, it can be hard to tell after many years.

My impression is that earlier Ericsons used mahogany, teak came later.

In this picture, teak left, mahogany right. I made the fiddles of my cut-down teak cabin table out of mahogany, and you can hardly tell the difference.

teak left, mahog right.jpg

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
His (d)Ark Materials

Yes, and it’s getting harder and harder to buy “mahogany” around here. Especially any that matches the existing woodwork. (Nearest current source is “Mr. Plywood” in PDX - 150 mile round trip. But they have stuff that matches pretty well.) Although it may be a pain in the wallet, I buy as much as possible (I.e. more than needed for the current project) when I find a good match. I kid myself that I’m zeroing in on a selection of stains to make the different types match better. Another tempting possible source is unwanted or unused original woodwork (e.g. the V-berth door...) that might be cut up to make something else.
The same goes for other materials on the boat: I found a Wilsonart pattern that matches the original counter top, and bought a whole 5x10 sheet (on-line) to cover future projects - much cheaper than special ordering small pieces of it from the hardware store. Especially if you have a tendency to ruin them the first time :rolleyes:. (In hindsight - at this point, there’s more of the Wilsonart on board than of the original, so I could just as well have chosen something completely different and replaced the old bit. Oh well.)
I also bought a whole 4x8 sheet of black ABS, used in cabinet doors, control panels, trim pieces, etc.
So, the standard boat materials are always in inventory, if the urge to commit another atrocious project arises. I thought that these would be greatly excess materials stashes for a relatively small boat. But... I’ve gone through more than half of it at this point.