• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Jib halyard question E25

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Hi all,

1975 Ericson 25 needs a a new jib halyard. Here's the question: The halyard is 3/16 wire to 5/16 rope. Is there any reason to not just make the whole length of halyard out of 5/16 AM steel rope or equivalent? The sheeves atop the mast seem to have enough space to "hold" a sheet this size.

thanks!

Attachments

• B2D0BA96-3A69-49B3-8C6A-9FDF7889F2D2.jpg
    B2D0BA96-3A69-49B3-8C6A-9FDF7889F2D2.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 5AA1906D-A624-442E-94C7-9E35C05E55AC.jpg
    5AA1906D-A624-442E-94C7-9E35C05E55AC.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
5/16" all-line would be just fine.

I'd probably recommend against the Amsteel, though, as it is pretty slippery (can be hard on the hands) and it doesn't have the best UV protection. Plus samson recommends a cover where it goes over sheaves or thru clutches.

There are other good options. I personally like 5/16" VPC (Vectran core, UV-protective polyester cover), but there are lots of other good options for low-stretch double-braids. If you're really set on a single-braid, give Samson Control-DPX a look.

Edited to add: as long as the rig is out, it might be a good time to replace those sheaves too. Give Zephyrworks a look - they made new delrin sheaves (without the groove for the wire), they were fast and affordable, and the sheaves are a work of art.

$.02
Bruce

Last edited:

gabriel

Live free or die hard
5/16" all-line would be just fine.

I'd probably recommend against the Amsteel, though, as it is pretty slippery (can be hard on the hands) and it doesn't have the best UV protection. Plus samson recommends a cover where it goes over sheaves or thru clutches.

There are other good options. I personally like 5/16" VPC (Vectran core, UV-protective polyester cover), but there are lots of other good options for low-stretch double-braids. If you're really set on a single-braid, give Samson Control-DPX a look.

Edited to add: as long as the rig is out, it might be a good time to replace those sheaves too. Give Zephyrworks a look - they made new delrin sheaves (without the groove for the wire), they were fast and affordable, and the sheaves are a work of art.

$.02
Bruce

I'm not set on any type of rope really, AMSteel what I was given to use to as a low stretch rope to use on centerboard pendant but i'm open to anything really. The .02 was exactly what I was looking for, thanks B!

Time to change that mast head light as well.

Soon as I get her sailing (hopefully this fall) I'll move it up from the bottom of a very long list of things that need replacing.