• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-30-1 being sold soon

frick

Member III
I have 1971 E 29

I would not be afraid of the age of the boat.
Ericsons were build very well.
My 1971 E 29 is a fantastic boat,

Rick

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
E-3-1 being sold soon

This "almost an ad" needed its own thread. Now moved to one.
As for an opinion of that model, I have not sailed one, but there is a restored/customized one in our YC.
I believe that this is one of the first or second designs that Bruce King did for Ericson. The ports and general shape do have his signature "Ericson look", tho!
:)

Please ad some pix and a description when you are ready to let it go, and an asking price.

Thank you.

Last edited:

meemee

price

This "almost an ad" needed its own thread. Now moved to one.
As for an opinion of that model, I have not sailed one, but there is a restored one in our YC. I believe that this is one of the first or second designs that Bruce King did for Ericson. The ports and general shape do have the signature "Ericson look", tho!
:)

Ad some pix and a description when you are ready to let it go, and an asking price.

Thank you.
I have 17 pics there under groups Did you see them ? I dont know what to ask?/ Ideas?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The Photos...

Link to set of pix:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/album.php?u=4407

Very Pretty Boat!

As for price, I just have no idea. Every boat has several possible "prices" - however....
there is what I want out of it, from a rich and enthusiastic buyer. Or, what I might receive after it is on the market long enough (6 months?) so that it has become known, but not yet too stale.
And finally the realistic price it fetches when being sold in under a month....

** For example, a club member just sold his early-model ODay 28 in under a week total, on CL. He asked about 10K, and probably accepted 9K. It was tired and had an original A4. Sails were at end of life. Instruments were old and value-less. It was very clean and ran fine.

Background: he and wife were just back from an annual week-long cruise. They talked over putting in major money for a restoration and upgrades, and then decided to get out of boat ownership for a while instead. They made an unemotional decision to move quickly and not even try for another 3 thou or so, as the active market fades quickly in the fall and winter around here. No broker. He had several motivated 'lookers' in only two days. :)

Do some research and then decide what you want, and, at the other end of the 'bell shaped curve' what you will actually accept. There might be many thousands $ between those two numbers.
One specific - try an ad in GOB. That's where I would look first for a well-maintained and loved boat. Savvy buyers know that your workmanship is more important than the initial price they will pay for a 'good old boat' of any make; unfortunately "Savvy" buyers are rarer than a hen's tooth. :(

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Re asking price, consider what you paid for it and what upgrades you made. Generally the upgrades don't add to the price, they just make the boat marketable.

Now list the recent upgrades that have actual value. They increase the basic price somewhat because of the factor: "You're also getting..."

"Actual value" is stuff you could easily sell separately.They might include a dinghy, outboard, brand new chartplotter.

Engine factor. Is this a diesel in good running condition? That's a selling point. (I see a diesel troubleshooting book in one of the pix).

Old boats generally need almost every system replaced. Any systems already replaced add to value.

Ruined sails reduce the value by the cost of new sails. Usable sails, or recent sails, are a strong selling point and to be emphasized.

At a guess, the expected price for such a boat is 10K. If restored to pride, 20K. If not sailable without some work, 5K.

The potential buyers are not rich, and some will not be knowledgeable. You are competing against junk 30-footers and new 15-footers.

Winter and slip/storage fees loom and buyers are scarce. Ask minimum. When interest is shown, make the deal.

llenrow

Member II
E 30-1 value

My first boat was a 67 e 30
Only the standing rigging had been replaced and e windless/batteries added but all else other than canvas in good shape bought it for 12, replaced canvas and after 2 years donated it with surveyed value of 15

doug

meemee

thanks Diesel in near perfect condition mainsail

mainsail very good genoa excellent Every system vg to excellent complete rewire I removed EVERY bolt or 99 percent replace and sealed with new ss. Dingy only if I had too with perfectly running 2.5 hp nissan achilles inflate dingy with hard bottom in excellent shape no dry rot all wood cetol 3-9 coats some ready for touch up exterior only Very dry boat new cutlass new 3 blde prop balanced shaft great engine access mod fuel tank removed cleaned polished i I would say this is a boat that if I kept i would like to put treadmaster on and a few electronice for fum I sail in River Hudson. new hold tank hoses etc I can go on and on

Re asking price, consider what you paid for it and what upgrades you made. Generally the upgrades don't add to the price, they just make the boat marketable.

Now list the recent upgrades that have actual value. They increase the basic price somewhat because of the factor: "You're also getting..."

"Actual value" is stuff you could easily sell separately.They might include a dinghy, outboard, brand new chartplotter.

Engine factor. Is this a diesel in good running condition? That's a selling point. (I see a diesel troubleshooting book in one of the pix).

Old boats generally need almost every system replaced. Any systems already replaced add to value.

Ruined sails reduce the value by the cost of new sails. Usable sails, or recent sails, are a strong selling point and to be emphasized.

At a guess, the expected price for such a boat is 10K. If restored to pride, 20K. If not sailable without some work, 5K.

The potential buyers are not rich, and some will not be knowledgeable. You are competing against junk 30-footers and new 15-footers.

Winter and slip/storage fees loom and buyers are scarce. Ask minimum. When interest is shown, make the deal.

meemee

forgot to mention

thinking 13k really worth it

mainsail very good genoa excellent Every system vg to excellent complete rewire I removed EVERY bolt or 99 percent replace and sealed with new ss. Dingy only if I had too with perfectly running 2.5 hp nissan achilles inflate dingy with hard bottom in excellent shape no dry rot all wood cetol 3-9 coats some ready for touch up exterior only Very dry boat new cutlass new 3 blde prop balanced shaft great engine access mod fuel tank removed cleaned polished i I would say this is a boat that if I kept i would like to put treadmaster on and a few electronice for fum I sail in River Hudson. new hold tank hoses etc I can go on and on