• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Destination Lake Champlain from the Chesapeake Bay

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
I know it would be a long trip from the Chesapeake , and it crosses into Canada and back. Does it require pulling the mast at any point?

markvone

Sustaining Member
The Champlain Canal guide states bridge clearance at 17 feet. This is the section from Albany 60 miles to the southern end of Lake Champlain. The trip from Annapolis to Albany will not require a mast drop. You need to be under 55 feet and less than 6 feet draft to get through the Cape May Canal which saves a few miles at the tip of NJ. There are places to drop and store your mast at the start of both the Erie and Champlain canals in Albany. You only need to visit Canada if you go to the northern end of Lake Champlain.

Mark

http://www.nycanals.com/Champlain_Canal

Last edited:

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
The Champlain Canal guide states bridge clearance at 17 feet. This is the section from Albany 60 miles to the southern end of Lake Champlain. The trip from Annapolis to Albany will not require a mast drop. You need to be under 55 feet and less than 6 feet draft to get through the Cape May Canal which saves a few miles at the tip of NJ. There are places to drop and store your mast at the start of both the Erie and Champlain canals in Albany. You only need to visit Canada if you go to the northern end of Lake Champlain.

Mark

http://www.nycanals.com/Champlain_Canal

Thanks Mark!

markvone

Sustaining Member
A couple of buddies did the trip from Mystic, CT in eastern Long Island Sound to Champlain in a 40+ foot single diesel downeast power yacht in a long weekend. They (one was the owner) were delivering the boat to Champlain so the owner's wife could join the owner for a week of cruising Champlain. Even goofing off to the max every morning they still got down the Sound and up the Hudson to Albany in two days. There are no speed restrictions through this section except NYC. The third day they had to get up early (boohoo) to go the 60 miles to Champlain in the Canal with 10 mph (ha!) speed limit in the man made sections. I'm seriously thinking of getting a smaller Ericson and a nice +/- 30 foot single diesel power vessel to cruise when I retire.

Mark

KWay

Member II
Mast must come Down

Every year the snow birds are either heading south in the fall and heading north as soon as the locks open again for the season.
That being said you have a couple of option south of Albany to pull your stick. First right after Kingston Ny in the town of Catkill.
Then at Castleton on the Hudson(Free but you do the work). Not sure which locations are doing stepping on Champlain but I'll put a bet that any of the ones right after the canal will
have the service. It not a bad tripjust have lock boards and plan for two days once you hit Federal Lock Number One
Kent

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Champlain

And once you get here, there are plenty of Ericson’s (hiding between the Beneteau’s) to show you around. Deep water, no tides and great anchorages up and down the lake.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
And once you get here, there are plenty of Ericson’s (hiding between the Beneteau’s) to show you around. Deep water, no tides and great anchorages up and down the lake.

I love beer, therefore I love Vermont. Usually it is a winter road trip for my stepson and I to taste and aquire new and favorite brews. And enjoy fantastic food. And beers. But the lake looks inviting and I would love a boating vacation there.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member

I love beer, therefore I love Vermont. Usually it is a winter road trip for my stepson and I to taste and aquire new and favorite brews. And enjoy fantastic food. And beers. But the lake looks inviting and I would love a boating vacation there.