• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Drippy hose fitting in bilge/TAFG [E32-3]

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Hi all,

Heard my bilge pump go off this morning and that alarmed me, as it usually never does. Sitting and listening, I heard some drip drip dripping, as well as the pressure water pump occasionally cycling on briefly. Ah, a leak in the freshwater somewhere, what a joy.

I unscrewed one of the little covers leading to the TAFG interior from the bilge (2nd pocket back from the mast) and found this leaky fitting, video here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/fiTyVPGEy5TaNfA96

I believe it's where the bathroom pressure water faucet is plumbed into the freshwater system.

Clearly it needs to be fixed or replaced, but how the hell could I get in there to fix it? This is me shoving my phone in with the light on, but the hole is about the size of my fist. Anyone dealt with this one?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That looks like an amateur repair to the Qest plastic tubing that Ericson used for fresh water. You can still buy fittings for Qest, and I keep a supply on board because the originals are 30 years old.

I'd probably disconnect one end and pull the tubing out to fix it. Then snake it back.

Qest fittings are easy to use, but reward reading the instructions. They are installed only hand tight. A wrench destroys them.

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
Do you (or anyone) know the size of the grey freshwater tubing? Thanks for the tip on the qest stuff.

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
Got deeper into this post-vacation and found that the original Qest pipe must've had a hole blow out in it, because the (now-failing) fix by a PO was three hose clamps around a bit of rubber tubing around the hole.

Finally got a Qest fitting delivered by mail but found out too late that my tubing is 3/8", not 1/2". An emergency run to Ace Hardware and I have a push-to-connect "Sharkbite" PEX coupling on it right now...currently seems to be standing up to the pressure but will be replaced when a proper 3/8" Qest fitting comes via the mail.

Seems like a plumbing overhaul should probably be done in my future.