• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38-200 port water Tank

Kranich

E38 owner since 2009
I’m installing a new refrigerator and the pipes to the compressor are routed around the port water tank. Ideally I’d like to remove the tank or at least move it over a few inches so that I have enough space to properly place the new lines without kinking them.

There is no wiggle room on the big hose that’s coming from the filler and I have no idea on how I’m supposed to detach it.

Any suggestion ion greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• PortTank1.jpg
    PortTank1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 14
  • PortTank2.jpg
    PortTank2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Tanks for the Memories

If you do not mind lifting off the cushion and one access lid when it's time to fill it, you could convert to the same system used in the EY-built Olson's.
No deck fills and no worries about bad O-rings or lost caps. :rolleyes:

When/if you have a new tank built (perhaps by Ronco) just specify a 6" screw-in clean out port. Very handy for cleaning the tank when emptied out for the off season, too.
You quickly get used to bringing the end of the hose inside with a little plastic ball-valve on the end, pressurized, and just fill the tank and then shut it off.
That new tank will still need a low-corner drain and top-end fitting for the vent. Of course.

If a Plan B is needed, there are shops in major cities that weld up new tanks in SS or plastic.
This may give you the tankage you want with (carefully planned) room for other stuff in that area.

When we changed tanks, we first built a perfect mockup with plywood and hot glue and sorted out where all fittings had to go and could verify that the rigid mockup would fit in and install OK.
I did this for a settee water tank and also a second water tank in a lazaret.

Kranich

E38 owner since 2009
Thanks for the quick reply Loren! I don’t want a new tank. I just want to temporarily remove the existing one so that I can properly place the new refrigeration lines without kinking them. Any idea on how to detach the filler hose?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks for the quick reply Loren! I don’t want a new tank. I just want to temporarily remove the existing one so that I can properly place the new refrigeration lines without kinking them. Any idea on how to detach the filler hose?

Hmmmm.....
Detach the hose at the deck fill and pull the tank back a couple inches and then take off the clamps.
(This might be a good opportunity to replace that hose anyhow.)

If you cannot get to the underside of the deck, that's a new problem to resolve. Maybe some sister ship owners can check in.

Kranich

E38 owner since 2009
Yes, that did the trick! Found access to the filler hose in a little cabinet. Removed some more wood paneling and got access to 90% of the length of the hose. Definitely time for a new hose, clamps, a couple of fittings attached to the tank. I now have the tank moved out of the way enough to replace the fridge lines.

Thanks for your help Loren, you made our day!
Jana+Peter