• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

MastheadDeck light combo replacement

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
I replaced that fitting this spring (the old lens was yellow and crazed).
It was a rather tedious process - trying to stop the rather short wire ends from escaping down into the mast, while hooking them up to the new fitting, and then trying to get the wires positioned behind the fitting in a way that allowed it to lie flat against the mast. I replaced the steaming lamp with an LED, but I haven't yet found an LED replacement for the downward projecting bow light, which is a pretty bright bulb.

Thanks for that info. Maybe I should check into pulling the Mast this winter and doing the job (and other Jobs) then.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Yes, I was in my mast-climbing kit when I replaced that fitting. It would have been much easier to do on the ground.
My next task is to climb up and replace the anchor lamp unit. I bought a Perko unit, which is identical to what I have now, but I've replaced the bulbs with LED.
I fully expect the same issue I had with the steaming lamp - preventing escape down the mast of the wires after removing the old fitting.
I'll also re-mount my renovated windspeed/direction arm when I'm up there, but that's pretty much a plug-and-play task (with minor calibration with a helper down below to make the display know what dead-ahead is).

sharonov

Member II
Did you do that with the mast in place?
Yes, it is only half way up ;-)
I even managed to get a heat gun with an extension cord up there. My biggest fear was that I would not be able to extract old screws but they came out easily.
Anchor light was a different story - I hired a rigger.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
This thread has been very helpful, thank you to all contributors.

I'm ordering:

and

To replace my aged Perko fixtures. It sounds like I'm in for some drilling and tapping, but mama never said it would be easy. Also, I think the guy next to me at the boatyard had installed the same fixtures, so at least I'll have the same problems as someone else.