• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38 original battery charger

llenrow

Member II
Hi all,

So, boat motored for half half our last fall and maybe started for 10 minutes two three times since. Has been on AC shore power with heaters/dehumidifiers running all winter and then all off for 2 months—still on shore power I thought until I noticed power plug pulled today. Last confirmed in place a month ago. Actually engine started right up. So I killed it and we decided to take it out. Everything readied for departure and got slow crank then nothing. Battery showed barely over 12 on original meter at panel. I replaced power hook up and realized charger had been off for ten months—some limited engine generator action as above. After 15 minutes of shorepwer engine started robustly. I’ve got 4 deep sixes. No dedicated starter.

My my question is —-is it safe or appropriate to use the original battery charger on a regular basis?

Thx

doug

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
IF you have a 'modern' solid state multi phase charger, yes. If it's an old (1980's era) *ferro-resonant charger, no.
Our boat is on shore power with the charger "on" all the time it's in the marina, for over 20 years.

*sometimes referred to as 'closet warmers' or 'hummers'. That's not a compliment, either.
(Our '88 boat was equipped with one of those old-tech chargers, and also came with two boiled-dry batteries. :( )

Last edited:

llenrow

Member II
IF you have a 'modern' solid state multi phase charger, yes. If it's an old (1980's era) *ferro-resonant charger, no.
Our boat is on shore power with the charger "on" all the time it's in the marina, for over 20 years.

*sometimes referred to as 'closet warmers' or 'hummers'. That's not a compliment, either.
(Our '88 boat was equipped with one of those old-tech chargers, and also came with two boiled-dry batteries. :( )

I fear it’s an oldy—that’s why I’m wondering about the safety. I can hear the hummmm when it’s on. I assume it has a fuse but I think that nowadays we can do better than hoping a fuse pops

thx Doug

llenrow

Member II
One of these? Do not buy new batteries until modern charger installed.

View attachment 27380
Yikes! That looks pretty Frankenstein. I can’t say I don’t have same components but mine seems more integrated into e panel, you don’t see that actual unit—or I haven’t bothered to find it—rather there’s a “test” toggle with a meter and a switch to turn battery charger on/off beneath master switch on e panel. This all appears original with my 1985 model

thx

doug

markvone

Sustaining Member
Doug,

What you are describing sounds like the typical volt meter and toggle switch installed in the factory DC panel (left picture) to monotor the batteries. The switch is the AC breaker is to turn on/off power to the battery charger on the factory AC panel (right picture). In the engine area or the lazzarette (or some other space) will be the actual battery charger. With luck, the original one will have been replaced with a modern unit. There is no safety issue with the battery charger running all the time unless the unit has a fault. The issue with the old chargers is that they are very hard on the batteries. Chargers (and batteries) have gotten more sophisticated over 35 years.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0539.jpg
    IMG_0539.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1149.jpg
    IMG_1149.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

llenrow

Member II
Doug,

What you are describing sounds like the typical volt meter and toggle switch installed in the factory DC panel (left picture) to monotor the batteries. The switch is the AC breaker is to turn on/off power to the battery charger on the factory AC panel (right picture). In the engine area or the lazzarette (or some other space) will be the actual battery charger. With luck, the original one will have been replaced with a modern unit. There is no safety issue with the battery charger running all the time unless the unit has a fault. The issue with the old chargers is that they are very hard on the batteries. Chargers (and batteries) have gotten more sophisticated over 35 years.

Mark
Thx Mark. Just what I needed

doug

llenrow

Member II
Initial post follow up

I’m always amazed at how dots sometimes get connected as one dealers into things. I went ahead and ran the hummer overnight—I think it’s the original charger—only to get a call from the harbor master in the am that 2 kids sleeping on a boat nearby we’re hearing an alarm in our boat.

We responded immediately—it was the CO alarm. No smells, no recent button, switch or handle changes other than that with charger. Battery cool. I realized a year ago when spending night at dock that the alarm was sounding then too in middle of night for unexplained reasons—-solved with ventilation—but why?

both events had original charger in common. I googled. Heavy charging does not give off CO but—-as discovered in Florida—charging golf cart batteries give off hydrogen which will set off CO alarm and is potentially explosive.

Im done. Battery tender jr working great. No more alarms.

Curious about others’ thoughts

Doug

u079721

Contributing Partner
One of these? Do not buy new batteries until modern charger installed.

View attachment 27380

That's the one my 1989 boat came with, and I used it for a couple of seasons after I bought the boat in 1994. But the charger never seemed to really "float" without causing gassing, whichever setting I chose, so I replaced it. Surprisingly when I sold it on eBay there was a lot of interest. Turns out this design allows you to do something like a "quick" charge on the higher settings by keeping the final voltage high (at the expense of gassing electrolyte). I never fully understood it, but I was happy to sell the old one for about the price of a new electronic model.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Here's what came with my 85 Ericson. I haven't had problems with it, but it does seem to keep the batteries chronically undercharged--I rarely see it put out more than 13V. It's on my list of things to replace, but, as I don't have shore power anyway, a new charger has been pretty low on my list. Interestingly, you could still purchase these things new up until a year or two ago, for something like $400. Not only has the technology improved greatly since the 80s-90s, but so has the price...

20160905_193410.jpg

Last edited:

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi Doug,

I had to replace my battery charger a couple of years ago and switched to the 20 amp Sterling with the remote panel option. Expensive, but basically install and forget. A replacement is pretty easy as the location and wiring are already figured out. I wouldn't want to mess with an external charger for very long.

Mark

llenrow

Member II
Thank you

I appreciate all the input. Making arrangements to have new and proper charger installed —-by someone who knows what they are doing

doug