• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Atomic 4 To Universal Diesel REpower Prop question

DeFranco84

Member I
Hey! Just toomk out the wrapping up a Repower on my Ericson 35 mk 2 I took out The atomic and put in a Universal 25 xp. I currently have a 3 blade prop I belive 12x7. Can
you recommend a new prop for tge new engine? What size? Someone told me 12x14 but the pitch sounding large to me

Last edited:

67rway

Member II
Data Point

I presume someone with a 35 mk2 will chime in, but as a data point our M25XP O34 seems well suited with her 15x10 FlexOFold 2-blade prop.

frick

Member III
From A4 to diesel

Hey! Just toomk out the wrapping up a Repower on my Ericson 35 mk 2 I took out The atomic and put in a Universal 25 xp. I currently have a 3 blade prop I belive 12x7. Can
you recommend a new prop for tge new engine? What size? Someone told me 12x14 but the pitch sounding large to me

Here in an online tool that works
https://www.vicprop.com/displacement_size.php...

My E 29 with the A4 turned a 12x 12 left handed
With the Yanmar 2Gm20 f I turn a 14 by 12 right handed

in increase in the bite is because the A4 spring the prop at twice the speed of the diesel.

Rick

eknebel

Member III
When I was replacing my prop on my E-30+(16 hp universal 5416) , the man with the phd in naval architecture advised me that on displacement hulls, it is the engine that determines the prop, not really the boat. The boat is a consideration for prop size with clearance of the hull and rudder, but the engine determines the workable combination of pitch and size. I ended up with a Varifold 2 blade Shaft Propeller 14 x 11, which didn't really increase top speed(limited by the hull waterline) but did increase thrust, which helps motoring upwind. At idle, in calm water, it goes 2 knots, which is a little fast for searching for a slip at a new marina.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
When I was replacing my prop on my E-30+(16 hp universal 5416) , the man with the phd in naval architecture advised me that on displacement hulls, it is the engine that determines the prop, not really the boat. The boat is a consideration for prop size with clearance of the hull and rudder, but the engine determines the workable combination of pitch and size. I ended up with a Varifold 2 blade Shaft Propeller 14 x 11, which didn't really increase top speed(limited by the hull waterline) but did increase thrust, which helps motoring upwind. At idle, in calm water, it goes 2 knots, which is a little fast for searching for a slip at a new marina.
If by "engine" you are including the engine and transmission as a unit, then I think this is accurate. The transmission gear reduction has a direct effect here.