• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Leaky hatch dogs/handles?

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
It rained pretty hard in Rosario last night, and I noticed that both my Lewmar deck hatches had a periodic drip. Nothing dramatic, but annoying nonetheless, as one of the drips was right over my head while I slept in the v-berth.

upon examination, the hatch itself is sealed just fine, the water seems to be coming through where the handle mechanism penetrates the plexi.

Is is there a way to tighten up the handles on their shafts, or is there a rubber washer that need to be replaced, or...?

Bruce

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
[FONT=&quot]My hatch/portlight is leaking. What should I do?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If a Lewmar hatch or portlight does start to leak it is important to establish the leak path. Where the water finally appears in side the boat is not always a good indication of the leak path. The easiest way to trace a leak is to wait for a dry day and use a marina hose. Establishing the leak path may be difficult if there is a significant level of condensation on the hatch/portlight.
Possible leak paths are:
Under the lower frame. This is caused by insufficient bedding compound between the low frame and the deck, or the compound breaking down over time. It may also occur if the cut out in the deck is too big or the hatch/portlight is not mounted on a flat surface. This is a build or installation problem.
Between the lower frame and the rubber seal (gasket). This may be caused by the upper frame being distorted or a loss of seal pressure. Lay a straight edge along the sides of the hatch and also diagonally across the lid to check for twist. Also check the seal for dirt or damage. Try closing the lid down on a sheet of paper. If the paper can be slid out when the hatch is closed the seal is not compressing.
Through the holes in the acrylic used on some products to fasten the handles, hinges or friction levers. The handles have a standard O-ring under the plastic moulding on the outside of the acrylic. This should be cleaned and lightly lubricated with silicone grease.
Between the acrylic and the upper frame. (Not Standard portlights and Concept hatches.) This is caused by a breakdown in the adhesion between the sealant and the upper frame or acrylic. Try gently pushing the acrylic up out of the frame and look for movement. This type of leak is the least common.

[/FONT]

Of course, that's just what the manual says. Reality sometimes differs from Lewmar manuals...

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Bruce,
While Christian's link is likely the permanent fix, I was able to stop a similar leak at the handle by slightly snugging up the phillips screw at the handle from inside the cabin. I think there is a rubber washer in there, so don't do it so hard as to disfigure the washer, but enough to stop the leak.
Tightening that screw has kept me leak free for the past year! :)
Frank