• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hit by lightning

nquigley

Sustaining Member

Interesting scientifically ...
- that mast was the tallest grounding point in the vicinity.
- watch while stopping/starting the video in very short intervals - one can actually hear the sound before the first flash (@ 04 sec), and it looks like one can see the lightning go upwards from the mast.

A friend posted this on his Facebook page on Saturday - he works at North Sails and knows one of the owners (Bonnie Heiple). Fortunately, no one was on board.
They were getting ready for the Marblehead->Halifax race. Lots of electrical damage. No damage to the watertight compartments, but they hadn't assessed for other damage.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I would count my blessings if I could find a way to stop this (We even have these thunder bumpers up here in the North West but nothing compared to you guys down in the deep south. I spent four years in Texas and I can vouch for how ferocious the southern storms are. I have to laugh at the Portlanders and Seattleites who panic at the sight of a baby thunder bumper. After trying to protect first my San Juan and now the Ericson I came to the conclusion that the best protection possible is to dance around the boat uttering an enchantment of protection. I believe that suggestion came from Christian.

With a lightening bolt, you are dealing with millions of volts and you cannot provide a large enough ground to dissipate the field. You listen to reports of fully "protected" boats getting hit and the flash travelling down the forestay then arcing to the mast and again to the stove before dissipating while the owners are sitting on the settee are terrifying!

The best thing is to get off the boat if possible. If not sit inside in a spot that is not near anything metallic and cover your ears.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When I was a kid we carried car jumper cables. During heavy electrical events my father clipped one to each stay and dangled them in the water.

This is now known to be, uh, ineffective.