• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wind vane for E38

Merrimist

Hammy, 'Merrimist' E38 in sunny Bda
Hi Ericson owners and other like minded salty sailors, am looking at buying a servo pendulum self steering windvane, if anyone here knows of or has a Sailomat 800 or other self steering windvane for sale suitable for a 16000lb 1986 38200, please pm me.

If any other suitable self steering wind vane brand or manufacture is recommended, please feel free to share here.

Christian Williams, "Philosohy of Sailing" speaks highly of his Sailomat 800.
And a quick share, 1 point on the compass = 11.25 degrees on the compass. ⛵����
Very much enjoyed Christian's book above. Informative and enjoyable read.

And just in to my personal email account today 01 July 2019, see the following reply from Sailomat Ca

"Dear customer,
Model SAILOMAT 800 as well as previous models are currently completely sold out. Spare parts still available.
All SAILOMAT deliveries are temporarily suspended as we restructure the company.
Happy sailing
Stellan"

Hammy cruising the Med

Last edited:

Merrimist

Hammy, 'Merrimist' E38 in sunny Bda
Wind vane cont.

Hi Ericson owners and other like minded salty sailors, am looking at buying a servo pendulum self steering windvane, if anyone here knows of or has a Sailomat 800 or other self steering windvane for sale suitable for a 16000lb 1986 38200, please pm me.

If any other suitable self steering wind vane brand or manufacture is recommended, please feel free to share here.

Christian Williams, "Philosohy of Sailing" speaks highly of his Sailomat 800.
And a quick share, 1 point on the compass = 11.25 degrees on the compass. ⛵����
Very much enjoyed Christian's book above. Informative and enjoyable read.

And just in to my personal email account today 01 July 2019, see the following reply from Sailomat Ca

"Dear customer,
Model SAILOMAT 800 as well as previous models are currently completely sold out. Spare parts still available.
All SAILOMAT deliveries are temporarily suspended as we restructure the company.
Happy sailing
Stellan"

Hammy cruising the Med

Wind Vane Cont.

Fellow Ericson fam and friends,

so after lots of research, I have have settled on and purchased a self steering Hydovane model VXA2D L (long shaft) /E/H Plus extras, for the grand total of $6150.
Now waiting for delivery. Then the fun of installation shall begin, with anticipation on having an extra hand onboard when single handing, woll, thats the plan :)
More to follow.

Hammy cruising the Med.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good. It's a pity the Sailomat struggles, as it is certainly the least intrusive installation and works like magic. Stellan sold only about 30 a year and although interest was high the manufacture in Sweden and lack of capitalization was a burden for one fellow who was not getting an younger.

The Hydrovane is great, everyone says. There is a real advantage to the secondary rudder, which Sailomat and others don't have (they use only the design rudder to steer the boat, and therefore have no emergency rudder capability).

It may benefit the Ericson hull form very much to move the "rudder" aft, in effect an outboard rudder, especially downwind. Ignacio was using an ancient Sailomat for a while, which had such a rudder, and he noticed improvement in tracking.

Last year I watched professionals install a HYdrovane on the transom of a 40-footer bound MDR to new Zealand. It took them a great long time, two weeks start to finish. I would not hesitate to install myself, but it is by no means a trivial job. The Sailomat goes on and off in minutes.