• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sailing Short-handed

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
No first-mate, no main or boom, no winches, deck organizers, or clutches. Just two sheets and a jib halyard tied off to the one remaining horn cleat on the cabin--and a nice sail back from haulout last month. And lots of work left to do...

20190524_185347.jpg

Last edited:

Kevin A Wright

Member III
You know 90+ percent of the time I'm just on the Jib anyway. I'm cruising not racing, and the extra 1/2 kt I get out of the main just isn't worth the hassle. Especially in and around the islands where the wind will be shifting every 1/2 mile or so. I actually don't think I raised the main at all last year. And the older I get and worse my knees and shoulders become, just pulling the string for the roller furling jib seems a whole lot easier. With the balanced rudders on Ericsons the little bit of weather helm you get isn't a problem either.

If I want to make a long run say down the straights in light winds, OK I'll rig the main. But short of that I'm getting lazy in my old age.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

debonAir

Member III
I often go jib only, finding it is nearly or as fast as jib+reefed main when its blowing and reefing main is a pain. I often see boats with main-alone and wonder if they've ever tried it the other way which works a lot easier.

It gets trickier on cats which typically have huge mains and tiny jibs, and often rotating masts which helps the main develop power to match the area. Here's a new old idea from Chris White for jib-only-o-philes:

https://www.chriswhitedesigns.com/mastfoil-discussion

patrscoe

Member III
I love learning everything I can about trimming sails and practicing what I read, and getting 100% out of my sailboat but sometimes it is simple as that; all you need is a Jib halyard and sheets - because the most important thing is that you are on the water sailing. No motor. No large crew trying to beat to the next marker, so on...

Thanks for sharing.