• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bottom of keel to top of cabin dimension

THFSAILS

Luna
I have purchased a 32-200 with the deep 6' keel. She needs to be delivered and the trucker needs to know the overall dimension from the bottom of the keel to the top of the cabin to make sure she fits under bridges. It cannot be more than 13'. I have searched all over the net and cannot find this info. Any help at all would be appreciated. (and I cannot measure this in person as the boat is now far away.)

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I measured a couple of different ways before my boat (a 32-III) was loaded on the truck

Aft, from top of stern pulpit to bottom of keel was 11'-4" (with a couple inches added in "just to be safe")
Forward, from top of bow pulpit to bottom of keel was 12' 9-1/2"

So, no problem making a 13' limit. With pulpits, stanchions and dorade-guard in place.

Once you know the distances from top-of-pulpits to bottom of keel, you can double-check everything else by sighting aft from the bow-pulpit to the stern-pulpit... anything that doesn't stick up above that sight-line will be fine.

$.02
Bruce

Untitled picture.png

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
...something about seven-punch graph paper....

(laughing) I was a hardcore adherent of the Franklin/Covey "dayplanner" movement, before electronics (remember the PalmPilot?) made it possible to have everything in the palm of your hand.

Old habits die hard....

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
It depends on the height of the tractor-trailer rig, too. My delivery guy had to take off the bow pulpit and front dorade guard to meet height restrictions.

Attachments

• 2 (9).jpg
    2 (9).jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 70

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
E 28/2 on trailer at 13'

With the mast threaded through the bow pulpit it still comes in at 13'photo_1 (640x478).jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Another data point

Our boat was transported on a purpose-built keelboat trailer towed by a class 8 cab -- Alameda CA to PDX.

Keel bottom sat very low - almost down at axle level. Mast was cushioned and sat in supports on one side of the keel beneath the hull. No pulpits or stanchions were removed. We draft 6 feet.

BTW, the mandated interstate hi way overhead clearance is "supposed" to be 16 feet, but I have also heard that something like 13' 6" is more of an excepted (and practical) standard. Commercial drivers will know.....

Last edited:

THFSAILS

Luna
Thank you all for the input. I am confident we are ok to haul and have made the arrangements. This was a tremendous help. I think we are going to be very happy members of the Ericson clan.