• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Practical Sailor and Fram

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Many of us use a Fram PH3593A oil filter, it fits behind the M25/M25XP improved alternator bracket. The July 2019 Practical Sailor seems to agree with “The Internet” that the filter is poorly constructed (although the sample size seems small to me).

Assuming PS is correct, what filter should I use? And is there any reason not to change the filter between oil changes (I’m only about 3 hours into the current oil change).

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Many of us use a Fram PH3593A oil filter, it fits behind the M25/M25XP improved alternator bracket. The July 2019 Practical Sailor seems to agree with “The Internet” that the filter is poorly constructed (although the sample size seems small to me).

Assuming PS is correct, what filter should I use? And is there any reason not to change the filter between oil changes (I’m only about 3 hours into the current oil change).

A friend of mine with M25 Universal diesel mounted a remote filter setup he sourced from Amzoil, if I recall.
He gained room to change the spin on filter. It was still mounted in the engine compartment, but just in a place that was easier to access.
Sort of a Plan B....

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
A friend of mine with M25 Universal diesel mounted a remote filter setup he sourced from Amzoil, if I recall.
He gained room to change the spin on filter. It was still mounted in the engine compartment, but just in a place that was easier to access.
Sort of a Plan B....
Sounds like a good project for next winter, but I’ve got enough projects for the time being :egrin:.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
is there any reason not to change the filter between oil changes?

FWIW, I change oil filters only when changing the oil (every 50-100 hours).

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
It looks like Wix is 51334

NAPA is 1334

Baldwin B1402

The Baldwin is 2.7” in diam and the Fram is 3.0

That may be enough to make a difference with a better fit and many people seem to think the Baldwin’s are well made, Though I have not cut one apart to see.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
is there any reason not to change the filter between oil changes?

FWIW, I change oil filters only when changing the oil (every 50-100 hours).

Me too, I just want to make sure I can change the Fram out for whatever (probably NAPA) without doing a full oil change. It seems like an obvious answer, but I've done stupid things before that I could have asked about first.

debonAir

Member III
I stopped using Fram after hearing enough about how bad they are. Of course I used them for many years in many cars without any issues ever so I would not be worried enough about the one in your boat to change it out prematurely.

The oil filter housings are above the oil pan so only the oil that happens to be around it or in the filter could manage to spill if you spun it off and that amount is manageable with rags or towels.

I'm currently using OEM Kubota filters since I was already ordering other parts for the motor. They aren't really any more expensive and I'll gladly plug both Kubota Parts Depot at MB Tractor and Messicks for parts order and delivery. Nice experiences with both.

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
There is a potential problem with remote filters. They take longer to pressureize. Some engines tolorate this well and others don't. I don't know about Universals. I have used Fram's in my average of 6 vehicles, two boats and lots of power equipment for more years than I can remember without a single failure. In fact, Fram has been one of the best out there. Before panacking, I would check things out further.

FYIC I dropped my subscription to Practical Sailor awhile back because I felt they were drawing conclusions on rather flimsy evidence shoddly accumulated (my opinion).

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
This is good information, thank you all for your responses. I have sometimes raised an eyebrow while reading a PS article, but I enjoy the content and lack of advertisements. It is always good to maintain some level of skepticism when reading any information, that is one of the reasons I enjoy sharing thoughts on this forum. There are decades of experience in many different disciplines available here.

sharonov

Member II
I use
[h=1]ACDelco PF1127 [/h]Somebody recommended that for M25XP. As far as I recall it has a bit smaller diameter and fits better. I did use FRAM once without any noticeable problems but then, I suspect, that is not something that may cause immediate damage.

Kevin A Wright

Member III
I use a NAPA 1064 on my 1986 M25. I believe that is their 'Gold' filter and supposedly a bit better quality.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy