• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

50 year old fiberglass! When does the last owner get stuck with garbage?

Steel

I’m looking at a 1971 E27 locally. 50 years old right around the corner. Surely even the best maintained boats have a final shelf life?
Thoughts?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Found this with a quick web search-
http://www.ericgreeneassociates.com/images/Boat_Longevity.pdf

Like some other high-quality boats, Ericson Yachts used quality layup procedures and good engineering. I would no qualms about a "50 year old E-27".
There are guys around the nation rebuilding frp boats dating from the 60's, and once refitted they are better than new.
(Of course, given the low quality of many of the new production boats these days, that is depressingly easy to believe. :( )

Even boats built thinly are lasting well, and I know a guy locally who has rebuilt several Venture 21's into fast day sailer/racers, and is using the basic hull with no added layup. He does put better rigging on them than the original undersized wiring, tho.

Looking around our 150 boat moorage, the only "deterioration" I see on boats dating back to the 70's and earlier is the outer layer of gel coat. The UV slowly thins it out to where owners have to paint their decks & cabins.

Get a good survey and move forward, or not, but not due to any fears about the basic construction somehow going away.

I also know a couple that has repainted their 60's Cal 40 and raced it a lot -- to Hawaii and back several times. No structural problems at all.

Good pedigree is important, and an Ericson gives you that.

kapnkd

kapnkd
I’m looking at a 1971 E27 locally. 50 years old right around the corner. Surely even the best maintained boats have a final shelf life?
Thoughts?

Everything pre-1973 (before the 1st oil crisis) was built with lots of fiberglass beef. Costs were down and they really weren’t that sure about the then new material. Knowing what we do today, those early boats were over engineered by today’s standards. Resin costs escalated in ‘74 And material costs had to be addressed which led to things such as the tri-axle grid and more.

You’ll find the older pre-73 boats are going to be heavy and generously solid with glass and resin layup. Most importantly, with ANY OLD boat, is a GOOD marine survey.