• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

bushing bottom of rudder shaf? E35-2

steven

Sustaining Member
Is there supposed to be a bushing in the rudder tube and/or a bearing at the bottom of the shaft between the rudder surface and the hull?
(in the water right now so I cannot look)

thanks

--Steve

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There is maybe or probably a "washer," likely Delrin, on the shaft. I don't know that it matters much.

Rudders can float, so probably it's to prevent contact of rudder blade and hull.

But the quadrant, or other factors, often fix that distance anyhow.

As for a lower bushing or bearing, I don't think there is one. The bottom of the rudder tube sleeve suffices.

The top of the rudder post is held by a greased bushing. There is a packing gland atop the rudder tube.

The Ericson rudder installation is intentionally simple. It relies on lots and lots of grease through the Zerk fitting provided.

Some models have better illustrations in the owner's manual than the E38 does.
e38 rudder.JPG
Ericson 38 rudder install

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
My 29 has a short bronze bushing at the bottom. It's not obvious until all the grease is cleaned out. Having just drilled through it a week ago, I can say it's much thinner than I expected, but then, I don't know how much of it has worn away. Anyway, now it will get more grease.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
For something completely different: pp 56-57 of the West Systems manual has a procedure for "fixing" loose rudder bearings by squirting graphite-thickened epoxy into the gap. Catalina Direct sells a "kit" to do this, although most people with old boats probably have most of the requisites on-hand. Sounds like a quick and simple fix with the potential to go horribly wrong... But I might try it some time.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Is there supposed to be a bushing in the rudder tube and/or a bearing at the bottom of the shaft between the rudder surface and the hull?
(in the water right now so I cannot look)

thanks

--Steve

With my similar ‘73 E-32 II, early on after delivery I noticed a steady stream of sea water coming in via the rudder post seal while underway. Under power or sail, her stern sinks in extending the waterline as designed. Unfortunately there was NEVER any real seal or stuffing material between the two component bronze pieces!

I then had my local hardware store create a somewhat thick rubber seal for the diameter of the rudder post, greased it graciously with Lubriplate and squeezed the two bronze pieces back together again. (Thought was to keep the rubber from binding against the rudder post while turning.)

It WORKED!!! ...So nice to win ONE in a row! ...This was more years ago than I care to remember.