• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 25 genoa on ebay

debonAir

Member III
I bought a brand new Ullman main on eBay, and a used North Genoa on craigslist.

With used sails it can be tricky because you don't know how the owner measured the sail exactly so you might get something too short (bad) or long (worse!). You also don't know the condition until you roll it out. One person's "Fine for delivery" could really be a torn up bagged out rag with stains and bad repairs.

With a brand-new made-for-a-common-boat sail you're in better shape because the sail was probably built to in-loft measurements for that boat.

With both sails I bought I communicated back and forth with the owners to confirm all the details before bidding/offering. With the ebay main I decided to drive a few hundred miles to see it in person and avoid shipping, but still paid with paypal on site to avoid bringing cash. I bought the main and paid a loft to replace the logo (easy to remove on new sails) and luff hardware (for my tides track) but still saved more then $500-$1000 vs. new. With the North Genoa, I got lucky and had it driven close to me by owner's relative. It was clean and a bit crispy still, so that was also luck.

I would never (again) buy a sail un-seen. Make sure you can roll it out before buying.