• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Water in e34

gc_sailor

Rule of Thumb, Electric E34-2
Looking at an e34 that had 18 in of water in it. Owner said that it was raining heavily and the wind was blowing a waves from the stern of the boat and in three days it got the water. He also indicated he had left the seacock open to the raw water intake and when he closed it the water stopped coming in. With no broken hoses I don't see how this is a possible source for the water. Seems more logical that the water was forced in from the exhaust port and perhaps that hose is broken.

Boat has been floating fine for a year with no leaks

It took three days for this water to accumulate. Any thoughts on other things to look for or other explanations. Thanks

Last edited:

gc_sailor

Rule of Thumb, Electric E34-2
In thinking through this I suspect that the leak came from a y valve on the intake hose. The owner had installed a Lowe's grade y valve so that he could draw antifreeze from a bucket in the bilge when winterizing. This was his first time running the engine in the spring and I think the valve either cracked or was left partially open from the previous fall winterizing.

can't think of how else water would get into the bilge even if it was forced in the exhaust of the engine.