• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1976 Ericson 39B

Homeejeromee

I've read that there are only 19 of these made. If I were to purchase one, what would be the most import thing to look out for on this boat. I have a survey scheduled in a week. Previous survey listed the boat in excellent condition in 2016.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome aboard. If you'd like members to comment on the boat you're considering, feel free to post a link to the listing.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Interesting that the genoa sheets pass through ports in the coaming. And what backrests those high coamings would be.

winchCapture.JPG

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Man, those Yachtworld photos show a lot of wood. Maybe enhanced a bit to make it look less dark? Possibly a good idea to look around for water damage. Something going on in the aft cabin?

Homeejeromee

1976 Ericsson 39b

Yes, that be the one.. we put down a deposit yesterday on it. Pending survey and all, this should be just fine for us.

Homeejeromee

Man, those Yachtworld photos show a lot of wood. Maybe enhanced a bit to make it look less dark? Possibly a good idea to look around for water damage. Something going on in the aft cabin?

Aft cabin seems dry and looks great imo. Survey will tell me more I am sure.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
No, not at all. An idea from the '70s, that's all. Genoa winches are on top of coamings now, if there is a coaming at all.

And the seatbacks are great. Today's boats, in order to have milady's bed-cabin huge under the cockpit often results in shallow-backed cockpit benches that are miserable to sit on during long watches.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Design Ruminations

Huge "beds" and open "floor plans" are selling today's floating RV's, even those called sailboats.

I recall that back in the late 80's or maybe the 90's (?) I read an article about design trends by NA Ted Brewer lamenting how many new boats were being designed from the "inside outward" -- i.e. the interior accommodations were all laid out and then the architect had to wrap a hull form around this vacation home layout.

*Sometimes they get a boat that sails reasonably well, in the performance envelope for today's novices: wind between 10 and 15 kts and seas under 1 foot -- 2 feet at most.
Below or above that most will motor or stay at the dock.

Credit where due: The buyers often do know just what they are doing, since in many maritime areas slip rent, while high, is a fraction of the cost of owning a waterfront condo.

Bruce King was, IMHO, a wizard at combining a sailing-oriented exterior with a livable comfortable interior. His boats will remain in demand because they sail well and are fast.

They are, in fact, designed from the "outside in".
:egrin:

Not like I have any opinion, of course.

*a forgetful squirrel finds a nut occasionally, too.....

supersailor

Contributing Partner
That open cabin layout is great in the marina (RV Park). It is a horror at sea. No place to careen into until you have a great deal of momentem going. I also notice that the manafacturers are not putting grab rails in the cabins. Either they don't expect the the boat to leave the dock or they want to destroy the humans aboard. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, they don't expect the boat to leave the dock. I checked out a Beataneau 35 owned by a local NOPAS Member and noticed immediately that all the lifeline sanctions were sloppy in their bases causing uncertainty when using them for support. There was an increase in radius of the side deck next to the cabin as you go forward that I found disconcerting. It looked cool, though. Inside, everything was in ovals. The table the sink area, everything. Not very practical. There were no hand holds and lots of open spaces. Going to windward, it pounded incessantly. It reached very well. running was more squarely. The owner loved it. She thought it looked very updated and cool.

Several years ago, some good friends of mine really wanted to buy an offshore boat and asked me to go to the boat show and evaluate the models offered. After looking at all the models, they asked me which one I would choose. I told them and the question was why that one. We liked it the least. This is the one we liked. It had a large coach roof with what I would call picture windows in it. The beam was great with large open spaces below and no handholds. The capsize ratios were horrible. I told them I wouldn't take it out of protected waters. They bought it anyway. They never actually tried to cruise it. This is why these abortions are selling. The trouble is that there is really nothing offered for the serious sailor. That's how I ended up with an older boat than I expected. The 34 shure fits well, though.

The winch positions are interesting. The 39B installation on the one that used to be here had the primaries on stainless pedestals attached to the backrests. I would like to know how this adaption works.

Last edited:

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
I once did a 5 day "learn to cruise" on a Beneteau 423. That boat made a lot of noise! Between pounding its flat hull on top of every wave and the boat creaking and groaning as the the hull/deck flexed when the sails were up. It really turned me off the newer keel boat designs. The only noise I hear down below on my E38 is the crap I haven't stowed away falling down.