• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

How to convert salon table to bed ? E34-2

JSM

Member III
I also have an 87 34-2. The table does not convert to a bed. Last winter I installed a new cabin sole and have yet to reinstall the table as we like the openess of the salon without it. After the table was out we found ourselves actually being able to use the port side settee, it was then we realized that that table does nothing but kill space 98% of the time. We are currently looking for something mast mounted and smaller.

Attachments

• sole1.jpg
    sole1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 221

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
To Sleep, Perchance to Dream

Admittedly I have not done an overnight delivery on this model, but on a different boat with the same offset table arrangement I slept well on the port side "behind' the table top area on a settee.
It looks well designed for sleeping two people on separate settees, like my own interior. I would advise (free advise, hooray!) adding some lee cloth's on each side similar to our boat.
:)

I have also done a delivery on a boat with a "double" berth where the offset table dropped down and was cleverly covered with cushions, and it was rather impractical. Hip bones keep dropping into the crack between cushion pieces. Plus you roll around too much in wave motion.
(If in port, and you just want to bunk with your SO, there is always the fore peak or aft cabin.)

Sleeping areas seem pretty roomy to me. Measurements in a reply in this thread --
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?7721-Actual-Berth-Size/page2

(Interesting that the "smaller" Olson has longer settees, but I only focus on that because I am 6'2" and like sleeping with a pillow.)

Attachments

• E-34:2 interior.jpg
    E-34:2 interior.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Continuing to not answer the question... I found that switching to a smaller table did a lot to make the cabin (of my smaller boat) more habitable. At least for the situation where there is usually only one or two POB. Mine rotates back over the middle of the settee in "park" position, where it is very handy to keep a drink or a book at your elbow, but leaves the floorspace clear. It swivels around forward for a more traditional "eat" or "laptop" position.

markvone

Sustaining Member
One of the attractions of the two Holland designed boats is the open salon with no dinette even though it is narrow by several feet due to the pilot berths. It's amazing the difference removing the mast folded table makes when you have so little space to start with.

JSM,

Perhaps a smaller version of the E33/36RH table would work. Details here:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...44-Ericson-33-36RH-Folding-Mast-Mounted-Table

I can provide more info if needed.

Mark

Attachments

• 2145472_9 Salon Fwd.jpg
    2145472_9 Salon Fwd.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1148.jpg
    IMG_1148.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2306.jpg
    IMG_2306.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 15

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Continuing to not answer the question... I found that switching to a smaller table did a lot to make the cabin more habitable.

...and continuing in the vein of "not answering the question"... ^^^ this. Christian converted the (I believe) cockpit table for use in the cabin, and it works great. Takes up far less room, has leaves that can be folded out of the way, I love it.

I have the original 32-III table in my garage but … it doesn't really have a purpose UNLESS I want to convert that dinette to a double berth, and... I currently don't. so it sits.

Bruce

EDITED to add photo (sorry for the clutter! I was in "project mode")

IMG_1792.jpg

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Also,

If you don't use the table as a bridge for a double berth conversion, I say cut it down.

A table that doubles as a bridge has to be big, and makes getting in and out of the settee a chore.

Here's how much I cut mine down without any loss of utility.

Even smaller might be even better.
1-E38 cabin table cut down.JPGtable.JPG

TimTimmeh

Member II
Hello,
I am wondering how to convert the salon table to a bed on an 87 e34-2.
Thanks.

Phil

I've done it. Just take the drop leaf off, take off the legs slide the table down to rest on the edge of the settees and against the mast get a piece of very firm 2 inch foam and cut out to fill the table and match the height of the settee cushions. I made a bed on this and let the kids try it once but beside that I never used it. If I was going to pursue further I would need to secure the table better, either by getting some shorter legs from some aluminium tube or just securing the table to the mast - otherwise if you put pressure on forward narrow edge of the table it flips up and ejects the occupants, which i guess could be useful when my kids become teens.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
That is the same one shown in my link above. If you shop around to the right vendor, you can buy it with an extra mounting bracket and relocate the whole thing to the cockpit in a jiffy.

JSM

Member III
That is the same one shown in my link above. If you shop around to the right vendor, you can buy it with an extra mounting bracket and relocate the whole thing to the cockpit in a jiffy.

Thanks ! Exactly what I had in mind.

garryh

Member III
interesting, the same sentiments from so many owners of so many different models. My 35-2 is the mid engine model... to go forward you had to squidge by the engine compartment, on a sloped surface probably banging your shins, then squidge past the table. There was zero usable space and felt almost claustrophobic; it literally felt like a table with a boat built around it. There was also a huge moulded mount for the table protruding from the sole squidgy interior.jpgon which to stub your toes or trip over when the table was removed. One day in a fed up frenzy, ten minutes with a grinder somewhat remedied the issue, although there is a just a big hole where the table used to be. I mounted a drop down table on the bulkhead and it feels like a football field in there now. (pic is not my actual boat but same model... you can see how jammed up the saloon is)

Teranodon

Member III
I find that I can sleep fairly comfortably on the port settee, behind the table. However, since I had custom forepeak mattresses made, I tend not to, except for occasional naps.

The huge stock table bugged me, so I made a smaller one out of fancy Russian plywood:

New table.jpg

(there appears to be a photo of my cockpit table as well. not sure what it's doing here)

Attachments

• Table3.jpg
    Table3.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 121
Last edited: