• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fuel Sender wiring mystery

vincentshine

Member I
Hi All,

Another 1985 wiring mystery. I had to replace the fuel level sender in our Ericson 30+ 1985. Was having a hell of a time getting it to work. I've learned, when doing anything test after every step.

The sender worked fine hooked up directly to the gauge, sender wire to sender gauge, sender ground to gauge ground. But then using the original ground - nothing. Chasing the ground from the original sender it is connected to the fuel fill gasket under the deck. This made absolutely no sense to me. So I grounded the sender directly to the gauge and left the original ground connected to the new sender ground as a precaution until I understand this more.

Any thoughts? I need the sender to work but also want to make sure everything is cool.

Thanks

Hagar2sail

Member III
Blogs Author
I happened to be lounging in my aft lazarette yesterday as one is oft to do and noticed a wire running by on my port side with a butt splice in it. Traced one end to my gas filler I assumed as a ground. Other end disappears forward, wonder if this is where it goes?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I wish I could remember where it goes.

But in general we're supposed to ground the tank to the fuel fill, apparently against electrostatic discharge during fueling. I don't know how significant this is for diesel fuel, or the regs involved.

1-IMG_0481.jpg

Last edited:

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Mine grounds on the port side of the engine block. Interestingly enough with a spade connector. Figured it out when I was working on the engine for something else and then noticed that my fuel gauge was not reading. I'd bumped the line while working and it pulled off the connector. Since that was the only place I'd been messing around was easy to find the one wire that didn't go anywhere and reconnect it.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy