• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Shakedown Cruise

Mack8964

Member I
Hi Everyone,

I finally brought my new to me Ericson 32-3 home to the Hudson Valley from Barrington RI. It was a blast and Abracadabra was tested. Up to 35kts of wind (on the nose of course) and 5 foot seas. Sunshine and thunderstorms; pesky jet skis and inconsiderate (huge wakes) power boats. A couple of issues were discovered and I was hoping to pick your brains to help me fix them.

First we were getting water in the cockpit when heeled on the starboard side through the scupper. Maybe 3 inches or so. In addition, and much more troubling, the bilges were filling up and spilling over onto the sole. The starboard settee locker also would fill up with a few inches of water. This only happened when heeled and it took a couple of hours to happen. If we were motoring, no water would go into the bilge. I'm thinking cracked scupper drain hose or a loose fitting. How do I get down there to see?

Second, while motoring up the Hudson at night I noticed a glow coming from the bow. I went to investigate and saw sparks coming off the anchor chain when it contacted the bow pulpit. When I touched the chain it was warm. Could the running light be the cause of this? The wiring runs into the pulpit and there is nothing protecting the wire from the sharp edge.

Finally, the starboard Schaefer traveler bracket is corroded in the welded corner and has split almost completely through. A call to Schaefer resulted in learning they no longer make the style of bracket I have. (pic attached)Bracket.jpg

Do you think I should have these type brackets made? Get a whole new traveler system? What material? Stainless? Aluminum? Something else?

Thanks for any input you can give me.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Congrats on getting her happily home.

The cockpit drain water--well, check the drain hoses. If they're crossed, that 's supposed to restrict water coming in when heeled. If they go direct to the through-hulls, wet tootsies are typical under certain conditions. (I just move my foot out of that corner).

Re the bilge water. It seems basic, but confirm that your bilge pump actually works when the blige is sloshing around. The Rule submersibles sometimes get an air lock, whirr like they're functioning, but move no water. Counterintuitive, but rule this pump characteristic out first. Hard to test because sometimes an issue and sometimes not.

Sparks from 12v? I'll be interested to learn more about that.

I think the schaefer is an aftermarket traveler, maybe somebody else has one. The factory did this:

1-DSC_0029.JPG

mfield

Member III
The electrical problem is interesting, since the lights were on then they must be a suspect. Perhaps a chafed wire in the pulpit.

I seriously doubt whether enough current could flow through this to make the anchor chain warm. Do you have a windlass?

Mack8964

Member I
The electrical problem is interesting, since the lights were on then they must be a suspect. Perhaps a chafed wire in the pulpit.

I seriously doubt whether enough current could flow through this to make the anchor chain warm. Do you have a windlass?

I do have a windlass but the power switch was off.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Congrats on the new boat.
Could the windlass have been powered and stalled, to make it heat?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If someone has put centrifugal pumps in the bilge, fling the pump forcefully over the side. :rolleyes:
There are are often Rule brand pumps. Ick.

By the late 80's the EY factory was installing Jabsco 37202 bilge pumps, and they do NOT back flood. They also do not need a separate check valve (which some folks like, and most others do not).

OK, kidding about the 'flinging'... but still best to restore the better technology pumps that the boat probably started out with.

At this age, boat is overdue for new bilge hoses, too.

As for feeling "hot" metal, that sounds scary. When it gets like that I would imagine that a breaker would open. Something to trouble shoot. Excess electrical Resistance causes fires.

As for risers for the traveler, contact Garhauer. They can make nice looking parts in SS, and their prices are reasonable.

Last edited:

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
First we were getting water in the cockpit when heeled on the starboard side through the scupper. Maybe 3 inches or so. In addition, and much more troubling, the bilges were filling up and spilling over onto the sole. The starboard settee locker also would fill up with a few inches of water. This only happened when heeled and it took a couple of hours to happen. If we were motoring, no water would go into the bilge. I'm thinking cracked scupper drain hose or a loose fitting. How do I get down there to see?

Having bilges that don't empty (pump problems) is one thing, but the separate and larger problem is having the bilge fill with water in the first place. You said you were heeled and had water in the cockpit. Have you checked your cockpit scupper drain lines for leaks. I've also heard that water can come in through an the sink when heeled heavily to port (with the sink drain / head inlet thru-hull open) -- but I haven't experienced this.

Second, while motoring up the Hudson at night I noticed a glow coming from the bow. I went to investigate and saw sparks coming off the anchor chain when it contacted the bow pulpit. When I touched the chain it was warm. Could the running light be the cause of this? The wiring runs into the pulpit and there is nothing protecting the wire from the sharp edge.

20181027_152153.jpg My bow light wires from bow pulpit, last year.