• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Using Kubota parts

hdlEric

Member III
I thought I had seen a post a couple years ago about using some parts from Kubota engines on Universal Motors engines. I have a starter/solenoid problem and am trying to locate those parts. Has anybody come acrossed that post, and/or know if indeed some parts from Kubota engines can be used on an M25-XP?
thanks Howard

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Under this thread is a box called "similar threads" and I hope that reading them will be helpful.
You Universal diesel engine is a Kubota tractor engine with marine cooling added, basically. Also some other stuff that is bolted onto the block, but beneath it all is the heart of hundreds of thousands of small tractors and excavators.

bolbmw

Member III
I used a generic kubota starter replacement when mine needed replacement. No issues whatsoever.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Also, if it is the starter motor, an overhaul by any automotive shop can work wonders.

The starter is probably held onto the engine by two bolts, far under the block. On the 32-3, it requires a ratchet wrench with an extension and some patience to get it off. My rebuild was $25 cash, and the starter motor then turned over twice as fast.

hdlEric

Member III
Thanks bolbmw and Christian,
I have been trying to get Kubota parts from a dealer in town, and what I have come up against is finding the right part number. From several articles on this site, I have determined the M25-XP engine is a D-950 Kubota block, but still had some trouble matching the actual motor unit. I may need to try a different dealer. I am trying to get the solenoid rebuilt; both the solenoid and starter were rebuilt a couple years ago; don't know why I am having trouble already; it might be the rust on the stud that a wire going into the starter attaches to; noticed that when I took it to the rebuild mechanic; I have cleaned all the other connections.
Thanks again guys!!!!

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
finding the right part number

What I've found to work is to find the Universal manual for my engine, and then find the Kubota manual for the equivalent engine. With those two side-by-side, you can see the Universal parts you need, and find the matching Kubota part number... generally speaking the diagrams are very very similar, only the part numbers are different.

So, from the Universal (M25, in my case) manual, the thermostat (item #5) is Universal partn number 301358

universal.jpg

...and the thermostat in the equivalent Kubota (D850) manual, item #100 is Kubota part number 15531-73010

kubota.jpg

The Universal manuals and Kubota manuals are available in PDF form all over the internet. For the M25XP, yes, the equivalent Kubota motor is the D950.

Last edited:

markvone

Sustaining Member
Also determine the tractor (or bobcat, lawnmower, excavator) model

I have read in many posts that having the tractor (skid steer, forklift, etc) model is also the key to ordering Kubota parts at the dealer. The dealer parts are organized by model. My 1981 5424 is a D1101 block and I have found a great online parts manual for the Kubota L245DT tractor which uses the D1101. Go to the model, then engine page, bingo, Universal 5424 parts.

Mark

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
The Kubota engine block number is embossed into the block surface to the left of the injector pump. You may have to scrape a little paint away to read the number. There is also a serial number of the block after the block number. My dealer was able to cross reference into the parts catalog with those two numbers.

20160811_194117-crop-arrow.jpg

hdlEric

Member III
Thanks so much everyone; for the invaluable information!! I will get a hold of the Kubota manual; I have the one for the M25-XP. I ended up having the solenoid rebuilt by a guy who specializes in starters, alternators and such items, and has a little corner shop. He charged me $50.00!!! and the entire unit looks brand new. If that hadn't worked I would have had to go to a Kubota dealer, and their price was only around $250 for the entire started/solenoid.
THANKS AGAIN!!!:egrin::egrin::egrin:

Second Star

Member III
Has anyone got current web sites that cross ref Universal with Kubota engines? I tried the other threads at the bottom but they are too old and each link for engine cross ref is dead.

hdlEric

Member III
Kubota parts

Hi bgary, I have tried searching for manuals for my M25-XP, and have sometimes ended up going down a rabbit hole.....seeems there are tons of sites charging for the manual. Not that I don't want to pay for one, but I want to make sure I get the correct one also. Do you have a site?
BTW there is a nother mate on this site who is looking for a similar site. Thanks. Howard
What I've found to work is to find the Universal manual for my engine, and then find the Kubota manual for the equivalent engine. With those two side-by-side, you can see the Universal parts you need, and find the matching Kubota part number... generally speaking the diagrams are very very similar, only the part numbers are different.

So, from the Universal (M25, in my case) manual, the thermostat (item #5) is Universal partn number 301358

View attachment 27191

...and the thermostat in the equivalent Kubota (D850) manual, item #100 is Kubota part number 15531-73010

View attachment 27192

The Universal manuals and Kubota manuals are available in PDF form all over the internet. For the M25XP, yes, the equivalent Kubota motor is the D950.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I have Kubota service & parts books for D-950 block engines. The service books also includes all of their 70mm stroke engines in the series. M-15/5411 through M-35, I believe.

The same info can be found easily on the net, I think.

I can email the parts books if anyone has a time sensitive need, & I can send them to Sean to put on the site. The parts manual is 6.7 mb. I notice there are no non-boat documents on the site now?????

Email me at tometz11 at gmail dot com.

Inceptor

Kubota Part Source Northern San Diego

I have had very good success working with David (manager) at Odyssey Power in Vista California. They specialize in Kubota generators, construction lighting units and similar equipment, but David seems to have taken a special interest in cross-matching the Universal Kubota marine conversions to Kubota tractor/generator diesel engine model numbers. I know several of the yacht brokers and mechanics in San Diego source Kubota parts from him as well. He can send you a one-page diagram sheet that shows exactly where to look to find the model and serial number on all Kubota diesel engines. My experience has been that he can find parts that the marine parts shops will tell you are unavailable, and parts that Universal will tell you are unavailable. And.....the cost for Kubota parts are anywhere from 1/3rd to 1/4th the price that Universal or the marine suppliers will try to charge you. Here is contact info for Odyssey:

Odyssey Power
990 Park Center Dr, Vista, CA 92081
(760) 599-0539

Mark