• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Oil removal from the cabin

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
After eight weeks and five days I have finally heard from my insurance company, and can start my rebuild. First, clean up.
Does anyone know a good compound for removing the engine oil which is everywhere after the flooding - on the mahogony, cabin sole, fibreglass hull etc?

Gareth

Freyja E35 #241 1972

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Didn't Exxon use steam to try to clean Prince Wiliam Sound? Also 3M's "General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner" is advertised to work on oil. I have found it to be good stuff for cleaning up gunk on fiberglass. My yard swears by it.

Last edited:

JORGE

Member III
I bought a gallon size of Degreaser "Oil da da" from the Costco, for the inside of the engine compartment( recently have removed the Atomic 4 and thirty years of grime), following a full strength application, brushing and scrubing with a coarse scotchbrite, and a second spray down of Degreaser. Next, I Power washed all inside stern compartments. Splash, Splash. Real dirty.

For wood areas, try test areas to see what works better; Kerosene (white)removes oil but nasty. MEK (thinner is good), odor less mineral spirits.
I'm not sure about Fiberglass cleaning, better to be safe, test inconspicuous spots. I think TSP (sold as a liquid) is a possiblility.
Hey, try Don Casey, he's a genius.

Steve

Member III
Any thought on a diesel darkened area of our sole

In one corner near our aft quarter berth sole we have a darken area where the light holly inserts between the teak have darkened due to the PO letting a small diesel leak go on for longer then they should have years ago. -Bad o-ring in the tank inspection port, when the tank was over filled or sloshed underway it would seep down slowly and saturate the abutting berth bulk head and down into the sole. Fortunately it was caught and fixed, but the damage remains. Certainly won't rot here!

Any thought on how to lighten the area, sanding alone will not do it. Thought about a Lestol soaking for a month... but maybe someone else has fixed other then cutting out the area and replacing....I hope!

Thanks, Steve 35-3 #156

eric35II

Member I
how about this idea

i've seen this little hand steamer infomerical while channel chasing. they show it cleaning everything. i would think the hot steam would open up the pores and the heat would loosen the oil and the pressure would wash it away. then you could refinish the wood...the nozzle is small enough that you would have good control over what you were aiming it at. ask around and find out who in the neighbor hood has one and borrow it. if it works well then there will be a run on them for cleaning bilges and everything else we cann't reach with our hands....

happy boating
greg